Mozilla's Servo Beginning To Work On Linux Video Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blae View Post
    it seems like the video accel was just rendering the frames in an opengl context. That's a far cry from "video acceleration.
    I think it's the lowest hanging fruit, because things like scaling the output and color space conversion is codec independent, yet can easily bottleneck one core on a slow enough computer (my 4 core A53 overclocked to 1.3 GHz drops from 60 to 4 fps when going fullscreen). They are also planning to use it for film grain in AV1: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1494493

Comment

I'm cynical, if Mozilla actually treated this as important it would have been done years ago. Just look at how quickly they had video accelerated decode on other platforms. I'll be shocked if this is actually working and enabled by default in mainline Firefox within 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Agreed, but it's still a lot better than having the buffer copying/switching done in software.
        FWIW, now that GPUs also run 'software', e.g. shaders, it would make more sense to refer to non-accelerated or host/CPU managed operations. It's all software unless we're discussing some fixed-function pipelines and DSPs.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
          I'm cynical, if Mozilla actually treated this as important it would have been done years ago. Just look at how quickly they had video accelerated decode on other platforms. I'll be shocked if this is actually working and enabled by default in mainline Firefox within 3 years.
          Maybe the situation has improved overall? GPU driver maturity etc.. I think I read that many SoCs only recently got proper video engine support, which required some changes in the video request APIs. I suppose you also need Wayland or full-screen rendering in order to provide tear-free experience on all platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Maybe the situation has improved overall? GPU driver maturity etc.. I think I read that many SoCs only recently got proper video engine support, which required some changes in the video request APIs. I suppose you also need Wayland or full-screen rendering in order to provide tear-free experience on all platforms.
            Wayland's honestly not required. X11 compositors simply need to be profiled and fixed. They've been overlooked for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I recently switched to Firefox on Android and it's very fast for me.
              I don't know, for me it shows pages quickly, but it takes forever to _finish_ loading them. And that's with AdBlock and NoScript installed. Across a handful of devices, too.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I don't know, for me it shows pages quickly, but it takes forever to _finish_ loading them. And that's with AdBlock and NoScript installed. Across a handful of devices, too.
                No issues with that either and I too use adblocking in FF for Android (uBlock).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

No issues with that either and I too use adblocking in FF for Android (uBlock).
                  Bummer.

Comment

Working...
                  X