Mozilla's Servo Beginning To Work On Linux Video Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I'm not sure if it's a joke, I'll take you're serious..
    Citation

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

You won't be alive by the time Servo ships and is enabled by default.
      Servo is not a component of Firefox. Servo is an independent experimental browser. After specific pieces of servo gets mature, those components gets merged into Firefox.

I don't understand where Servo is going. It is unusable in its current state compared to Chrome/Edge/Firefox/Opera/etc
      Servo is not meant to be used on its own by end users. It's just a providing ground for some things that Firefox developers are trying out. Some of this will get merged into Firefox over time as has been happening already through the Firefox Quantum effort.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
        I don't understand where Servo is going. It is unusable in its current state compared to Chrome/Edge/Firefox/Opera/etc. I tested it shortly a few weeks ago, a few months ago, a year ago: it seems to be stagnating or is improving extremely slowly.
        It's an experiment. I don't think it's meant to be usable, the idea is to try random stuff and see what works and what doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
          I don't understand where Servo is going. It is unusable in its current state compared to Chrome/Edge/Firefox/Opera/etc. I tested it shortly a few weeks ago, a few months ago, a year ago: it seems to be stagnating or is improving extremely slowly.
          Useable parts of Servo get brought over to Gecko. Servo is more of a testbed for new browser technology.

Comment

Wow, we made 22 posts without someone trolling Rust. Amazing.

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post

Useable parts of Servo get brought over to Gecko. Servo is more of a testbed for new browser technology.
            Right. I don't know if it's up to date, but the Mozilla Wiki has a page on Rust components brought over into Firefox and those in progress: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Oxidation

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
              Servo is not meant to be used on its own by end users. It's just a providing ground for some things that Firefox developers are trying out. Some of this will get merged into Firefox over time as has been happening already through the Firefox Quantum effort.
              Exactly... Servo isn't a browser, it's a place for prototyping things without the overhead of working with the full Mozilla codebase... minimal UI, few features, just a basic shell around a rendering engine.

Comment

As already mentioned, it seems like the video accel was just rendering the frames in an opengl context. That's a far cry from "video acceleration".

Firefox will be useless for viewing youtube on your laptop for the foreseeable future still.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  I wonder if this has anything to do with their upcoming mobile browser reboot. I kinda hope it does, because as much as I love Firefox, it's damn slow on mobile.
                  I recently switched to Firefox on Android and it's very fast for me.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Thanks but I'm not authorized to see that, I see:
                    Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page.
                    Please try logging in or logging in as different user Login or send a message to the admin

Comment

Originally posted by blae View Post
                      As already mentioned, it seems like the video accel was just rendering the frames in an opengl context. That's a far cry from "video acceleration".

Firefox will be useless for viewing youtube on your laptop for the foreseeable future still.
                      Agreed, but it's still a lot better than having the buffer copying/switching done in software.

Comment

Working...
                      X