Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xubuntu 19.04 Is Ready With To Provide Its Updated Lightweight Xfce Desktop Experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Xubuntu 19.04 Is Ready With To Provide Its Updated Lightweight Xfce Desktop Experience

    Phoronix: Xubuntu 19.04 Is Ready With To Provide Its Updated Lightweight Xfce Desktop Experience

    While it may not seem like a big release with Xfce 4.14 having yet to materialize, the Xubuntu developers have been doing a fine job providing a nice upgrade with Xubuntu 19.04 for those appreciating a lightweight, GTK-based desktop environment built around Ubuntu...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-19.04-Changes

  • #2
    Is xfce even actively development anymore? I thought they were planning to release 4.14 about 3-4 years ago.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      Is xfce even actively development anymore? I thought they were planning to release 4.14 about 3-4 years ago.
      Still being ported to GTk3.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        Is xfce even actively development anymore? I thought they were planning to release 4.14 about 3-4 years ago.
        They keep releasing and updating their software with fixing bugs and also to gtk 3, remember they are few dev, also the the way they made, they can update one piece of software without need updating everything is very independent and use less library.
        You can check their progress:
        HTML Code:
        https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap
        I think is almost complete they already have 90% of progress on the xwfm4, they have some software which are not critical to update for a next version at the modules sides.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by raonlinux View Post

          They keep releasing and updating their software with fixing bugs and also to gtk 3, remember they are few dev, also the the way they made, they can update one piece of software without need updating everything is very independent and use less library.
          You can check their progress:
          HTML Code:
          https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap
          I think is almost complete they already have 90% of progress on the xwfm4, they have some software which are not critical to update for a next version at the modules sides.
          They've said they've been on 90% for months now. I guess it's good they are making sure it's stable, but the amount of time it's taking them is rediculous. I've seen even smaller projects release 10x more often. LXQT for example has already had a couple updates and doesn't have any major bugs. Heck, even though lumina hasn't released in months it's still been updated more!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by andyprough View Post
            Is xfce even actively development anymore? I thought they were planning to release 4.14 about 3-4 years ago.
            Xfce is a great desktop environment. They do not plan to release a new version every month, the Xfce people fix the bugs without adding new ones (hoping). Xfce is not a game. Another good promising DE is Lxqt, for me.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              Is xfce even actively development anymore?
              No worries, debianxfce is on top of it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Baguy View Post
                Heck, even though lumina hasn't released in months it's still been updated more!
                If you view the git repository (https://git.xfce.org/) you will notice how wrong is your comment.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I remember when XFCE used to be lightweight but it really isn't any more. These days it's essentially the same as gnome-flashback or gnome2. I regularly switch between XFCE and gnome-flashback. They're both pretty fat. GNOME3 just sucks for multi-monitor setups.

                  If I want a lightweight desktop I run an OpenBox session and nothing else. If I want a REALLY lightweight desktop I run Oroborus and fsPanel (useful on my 256MB RAM laptop).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by linner View Post
                    I remember when XFCE used to be lightweight but it really isn't any more. These days it's essentially the same as gnome-flashback or gnome2. I regularly switch between XFCE and gnome-flashback. They're both pretty fat. GNOME3 just sucks for multi-monitor setups.

                    If I want a lightweight desktop I run an OpenBox session and nothing else. If I want a REALLY lightweight desktop I run Oroborus and fsPanel (useful on my 256MB RAM laptop).
                    You remember when Xfce used the Gtk2 libs. The Gtk3 libs make everything heavy. 300/400 MB of used memory (after a fully installation of a Linux distro) is not too much for a (almost) complete DE.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X