Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More GNOME Shell / Mutter Performance Optimizations & Latency Reductions Still Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
    And I discovered that GNOME 3 on 18.10 and Fedora 29 is a horrible experience. Dash lags for a second before opening, overall animation barely reaches 10 fps. Finally I installed elementaryOS as second touchscreen friendly distro IMO, and it runs relatively smooth (not 60 fps though). But elementaryOS is based on LTS with old kernel and I had to install 4.20 from mainline ppa manually. I will download 19.04 and boot it to see current state of this pile of crap called GNOME 3 - maybe it became usable now.
    That's interesting, as elementary is a downstream of GS. And the maintainer of their shell components, feaneron, is deeply involved in upstream gnome development.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

On KDE, I had this feeling too, so I got into the settings and moved the slide of animation just a tad faster. Suddenly the PC seemed running faster. Is just a psychological thing, but I totally agree that animation must not drag too much, just because the developers want to show something cool.
      One step below the current default setting is what the default setting should be, in my opinion. Otherwise the machine just feels lagging.

Comment

Tell NVIDIA to fuck off and merge it anyway. Linus and the KDE project have the right attitude: nobody should be bending over to hostile corporations.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
          That's interesting, as elementary is a downstream of GS. And the maintainer of their shell components, feaneron, is deeply involved in upstream gnome development.
          But AFAIK, elementary has a desktop that, although based on mutter, isn't written in javascript, but directly in Vala, so some performance issues probably doesn't apply.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            144/120MHz displays
            Grin.

Comment

for the guys saying the animation is too long: you are absolutely right, fix it with this: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/277/impatience/

Comment

I heard it no longer takes 2s for the applications window to load.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
                  Tell NVIDIA to fuck off and merge it anyway. Linus and the KDE project have the right attitude: nobody should be bending over to hostile corporations.
                  For professional use like editing, grading and vfx using Davinci Resolve Studio, NVIDIA is the best choice.
                  Also using patched Mutter (in Arch: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/m...835-workaround) it runs fantastic while KDE and kwin runs horrible with tearing and lots of lag, 60p 4K playback in Chrome is impossible, while I can play 8K videos just fine using patched (or hopefully 3.32 as well) Mutter.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                    Holy f... Carlos Garncho did a late merge of some old performance patch. Aaaand Jasper StPierre is back reviewing some MRs.
                    Well I guess there will still land some stuff before 3.32. But seeing Jasper St. Pierre comment (and strongly approving) on that particular MR is quite exciting. There has been some disapproval on it from other important devs and Georges Stavracas (feaneron) is even working on an alternative solution which, and that's the point, even includes an old commit form Jasper when he tried to do the same a couple of years ago

Edit: see https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte...ts/402/commits

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80
                      Taxi for 1 to the supermaket? We've tweaked the suspension so it should go really light on the fuel....
                      Trolling is a sign of mental illness

Comment

Working...
                      X