Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More GNOME Shell / Mutter Performance Optimizations & Latency Reductions Still Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spectacular. Performance has been the primary reason GNOME was not an option on the business machines I've set up, so it's great to see that they are taking it seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
      I love Armchair Psychology Today. So fair, so reasonable, so well researched.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeZiD View Post

For professional use like editing, grading and vfx using Davinci Resolve Studio, NVIDIA is the best choice.
        Also using patched Mutter (in Arch: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/m...835-workaround) it runs fantastic while KDE and kwin runs horrible with tearing and lots of lag, 60p 4K playback in Chrome is impossible, while I can play 8K videos just fine using patched (or hopefully 3.32 as well) Mutter.
        What do I care? Go pester NVIDIA about it, it's their hardware. GNOME, KDE or Sway cannot do anything about it because their drivers are closed-source.

When you make it impossible to cooperate with you, you deserve the finger.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I am using Ubuntu 19.04 (daily build) and the GNOME performance have been noticeable improved.
          The animations when opening up the dash is much smoother without frame stuttering.
          The dash experience has been improved.

I still do think the experience of the dash is bad because the duration of the animation is too long. It is smooth, but too long.
          Also the animation is a poor animation, it is a folding animation. I would much rather prefer a simper bottom-up sliding animation like the one on Android.
          I just put this on a virtual machine and it does seems smoother than the hosting 18.10.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

What do I care? Go pester NVIDIA about it, it's their hardware. GNOME, KDE or Sway cannot do anything about it because their drivers are closed-source.

When you make it impossible to cooperate with you, you deserve the finger.
            Doesn't really matter. Fact is Mutter/Gnome developers figured out how to create a smooth (60p at least) tear- and lag-free environment even using NVIDIA proprietary drivers and managed to make it smoother than Kwin on (my two) Intel machines as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80
              Taxi for 1 to the supermaket? We've tweaked the suspension so it should go really light on the fuel....

Username checks out.

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80

Then I suggest you see a doctor. Maybe look up the definition of trolling while your waiting in the reception area!
                Pointing out a troll is not trolling Good try though

Comment

Originally posted by remenic View Post

Could you please share that patch? I have the same issue on my i7 4800mq (HD 4600 gpu) and I just can't seem to watch 60fps videos without significant stutters. Neither in vlc nor in YouTube (no matter the browser).
                  Yes, I can. I sent you a private message, but apparently it didn't reach you.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I'd love to see the patch too... any reason it's not in mainline kwin?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Unapproved post above, and since I can't edit it:

Nevermind, found your github repo

Comment

Working...
                      X