GTK+ No More - It's Just GTK As Developers Prepare For This Year's GTK 4.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ No More - It's Just GTK As Developers Prepare For This Year's GTK 4.0

Phoronix: GTK+ No More - It's Just GTK As Developers Prepare For This Year's GTK 4.0

Beyond the FOSDEM conference itself this past week in Brussels, GNOME developers also used the occasion once again for hosting a developer "hackfest" as they prepare for the home stretch in GTK 4.0 development...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...t-2019-Stretch

Everyone called it GTK for years and now it's finally official. What a time to be alive!

Comment

Kinda surprised this wasn't already the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Compartmentalisation View Post
        Everyone called it GTK for years and now it's finally official. What a time to be alive!
        As someone who likes to refer to products by their official name (which I think looks more professional), I called it GTK+

I still welcome this change as it makes it easier to get right (and pronounce, if you have to do it often).

Comment

Congrats Gnome. Its took multiple committee's, tens of forums, hundreds of participant's, and thousands of comments, but you did it. You changed the GTK+ to GTK. Seriously, give yourself a clap on the back, you deserve it.

Comment

They would probably rename it to GTK--, if it wasn't already taken.

Comment

I'd give this a +1, but now it's just going to be a 1.

Comment

GNOME® ToolKit or GTK-

Comment

Erm, It’s the GIMP Tool Kit, not Gnome.

Comment

That's the right decision indeed. A couple of weeks ago I decided to learn a bit about GTK and play around with it and surely the first obstacle I faced was this naming confusion. There is no GTK+ libraries in the system or the repos, and there is no GTK documentation. The docs are all for GTK+ while the binaries had no + in them.

Comment

Working...
                    X