The Latest GNOME Shell/Mutter Performance Work & X11/Wayland Separation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Latest GNOME Shell/Mutter Performance Work & X11/Wayland Separation

Phoronix: The Latest GNOME Shell/Mutter Performance Work & X11/Wayland Separation

GNOME 3.32 is shaping up to be a darn fine release especially with the performance improvements slated to be part of this six-month desktop environment update due out in March...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They either lacked foresight or GNOME Shell was truly meant to be an eternal beta.

Their plans for GNOME 4 (like decoupling mutter from the main gnome-shell process) are things they should have done from the start, even more so because now, under Wayland, it'd have something to keep the session afloat if the Shell crashed. Oh, and performance would (likely) be much better.

Comment

144Hz Are you saying they chose a different approach for GNOME 4? What did they choose?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Georges is a machine.

Besides mutter/gnome-shell development he is also working on the control center revamp.
        The Gnome Control Center is getting redone again?

I like the current layout. It's slick, except the background chooser is still something that's a chore to use.

Edit: Nm, only the individual panels are being changed.
        Last edited by Britoid; 31 January 2019, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Good to see some of the performance improvements are finally getting merged. However the big ones are still in the queue, e.g. GPU-less picking, latency reduction, etc.

Comment

I already passed over, no more Gnome/Gtk3 (and Gtk4) applications in my PC, my home directory is worth multiple times the money that all the Gnome/Gtk3 (and Gtk4) developpers have in their bank account.
            That said, Gnome3 (and maybe 4?) remains a programming exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              Lessons learned from Unity8.
              What happened there?

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

What happened there?
                Unity8 would have been a complete rewrite of Unity.

Comment

Let's see if this lives up to the hype. I may switch back to Gnome if I get the same snappiness and solid 60fps animations that I get from Plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
                    I already passed over, no more Gnome/Gtk3 (and Gtk4) applications in my PC, my home directory is worth multiple times the money that all the Gnome/Gtk3 (and Gtk4) developpers have in their bank account.
                    That said, Gnome3 (and maybe 4?) remains a programming exercise.
                    Wow, you sound very important.

Comment

Working...
                    X