Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Is Making Great Progress On Overhauling Their App Icons

Phoronix: GNOME Is Making Great Progress On Overhauling Their App Icons

In addition to the many big ticket changes being worked on for GNOME 3.32 like better performance and Wayland improvements, it also marks the project embarking on a big overhaul of their application icons...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Needs a pencil icon to go with the cassette icon.

Comment

Gnome always had their own design choices.
      Looks pretty...interesting...with the jumping heights and widths.
      They should have sticked to round and square icons with a unified height and width.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        The c-cassette icon describes perfectly what gnome3 is, going backwards with features and user friendless. The Gnome3 desktop by default in many distributions is a big reason why windows users are not interest to use Linux.
        Yep. I especially dislike how I need plugins from a website to give me functionality that XFCE and Plasma include by default -- that is not user friendly.

Windows users don't want a desktop without a system tray, a task bar, or a start menu. I'd wager that's 85% of us based on all the Gnome3 comments I've read.

I ran Gnome for the first time in a while on an Antergos live cd the other day and I was lost for the first few minutes. Once I got the hang of it, it wasn't that bad...but I still didn't like it and would have preferred a more traditional desktop. If Plasma's Present Windows became the method for me to switch windows....I'd drop Plasma in a heartbeat....because moving a mouse to the corner, moving to the program, and then clicking on it to use it is soooo much better and faster than clicking the freakin taskbar. Gnome multitasking is just awful.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Yep. I especially dislike how I need plugins from a website to give me functionality that XFCE and Plasma include by default -- that is not user friendly.

Windows users don't want a desktop without a system tray, a task bar, or a start menu. I'd wager that's 85% of us based on all the Gnome3 comments I've read.

I ran Gnome for the first time in a while on an Antergos live cd the other day and I was lost for the first few minutes. Once I got the hang of it, it wasn't that bad...but I still didn't like it and would have preferred a more traditional desktop. If Plasma's Present Windows became the method for me to switch windows....I'd drop Plasma in a heartbeat....because moving a mouse to the corner, moving to the program, and then clicking on it to use it is soooo much better and faster than clicking the freakin taskbar. Gnome multitasking is just awful.
          OR, you can just hit SUPER and click on your application of choice. Whatever floats your boat.

Comment

These icons are pretty bad.

No idea what the podcast icon is supposed to resemble.
            As for the radio, few people have seen a radio from the 60s.

Icons from Google's Material Design are much more beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              These icons are pretty bad.

No idea what the podcast icon is supposed to resemble.
              As for the radio, few people have seen a radio from the 60s.

Icons from Google's Material Design are much more beautiful.
              Idk but 3d icons are the best if you ask me.

Comment

icons is not what they should work on. gnome itself is barely usefull compared to kde,cinnamon,mate. i personaly dont care about icons, coz i can change them whenever i want. workflow is much harder to change.

Comment

It would be nice if they used more SVG icons, lower disk and memory usage that way. If rendering those icons can be offloaded to the GPU, even better.

Comment

Originally posted by sabian2008 View Post

OR, you can just hit SUPER and click on your application of choice. Whatever floats your boat.
                    Yeah...I don't like using keyboard shortcuts or using full screen application launchers in general. It just gets on my nerves because sometimes I'll do shortcuts in the wrong order or I'll remember the key in the wrong spot and do the wrong shortcut...a personal problem due to dyslexia, thinking too fast, and a sore wrist... I simply don't care for the look of full screen launchers and the disruption using them brings to my workflow really annoys me a lot more than it should. On a technical side, once I have a lot of programs installed, having them sorted in a start menu by category makes it easier for me to find stuff...just less text on the screen to process.

I know I can setup Gnome to work in a manner that I like, but it takes a lot of tweaking and it does involve needing external plugins. I don't like relying on external plugins since that means I'm now relying on a random 3rd party for my desktop to work right as well as having to wait for the plugin to be updated before I can update the desktop. I have the same issue with internet browsers and plugins...damn you Firefox, I really miss DownThemAll... If Gnome were to take the most popular plugins and make them standard features, I could make Gnome work.

With XFCE and KDE (and others), everything that I need to configure the desktop in a manner that suites me comes from the actual project. That means a lot to me. It takes a lot of the worry out of updating my system. The last time I used Gnome it was 3.18. 3.20 came out and I had to wait a month for all the plugins I was using to be updated and had to just deal with it in the meantime.

But more important than plugins, it's less painful and a lot faster using a mouse than it is to slow down to ensure my hand is positioned right and that I'm entering the right keys. It hurts to keep my left hand on the keyboard for an extended time due to 16 years of construction work being hard on my wrists so I tend to keep my shortcut hand, left hand, on my lap and I have my basic cut, copy, select all, switch windows, etc shortcuts programmed into my mouse. Gnome doesn't work well without plugins for a primarily mouse based desktop, IMHO.

A lot of times all I use is just a mouse...granted my mouse has 14 hotkeys, a mode shift to double that, and profiles to extend that...Logitech g600...it's awesome...

I'm well aware that the issues I have aren't issues that most people have. Most people aren't dyslexic or dealing with a sore wrist by keeping their hand off the keyboard unless they need to type. For me, it's straight-up double trouble when it comes to keyboard heavy environments.

Comment

Working...
                    X