Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell + Mutter 3.31.4 Deliver Desktop Performance Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GNOME Shell + Mutter 3.31.4 Deliver Desktop Performance Improvements

    Phoronix: GNOME Shell + Mutter 3.31.4 Deliver Desktop Performance Improvements

    While released too late for making it into GNOME 3.31.4 proper as the newest GNOME 3.32 development release, out today are GNOME Shell 3.31.4 and Mutter 3.31.4 and both of these components offer up performance fixes/improvements...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Mutter-3.31.4

  • #2
    It's great to see continuous improvements! I've been using Gnome-Shell many years now and I'm quite happy doing so.
    I just hope that they continue to work on fractional scaling:
    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...rge_requests/5

    A lot of notebook displays have resolutions where 1.5x or 1.25x scaling would be nice!

    The other nice feature would be to split it up into multiple processes so that if the gnome shell crashes, not the whole session is destroyed.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by aelo View Post
      It's great to see continuous improvements! I've been using Gnome-Shell many years now and I'm quite happy doing so.
      I just hope that they continue to work on fractional scaling:
      https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...rge_requests/5

      A lot of notebook displays have resolutions where 1.5x or 1.25x scaling would be nice!

      The other nice feature would be to split it up into multiple processes so that if the gnome shell crashes, not the whole session is destroyed.
      I've just been looking for that this morning... and in fact it already somehow works, using the experimental feature:
      Code:
      $ gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features "['scale-monitor-framebuffer']"
      I found later today that some X11 applications do not work very well when it is enabled (eclipse for eg), but the other option I use for scaling my windows is a small script:
      Code:
      cat ~/bin/scale
      #!/bin/bash
      
      SCALE=${SCALE:-1.33}
      
      QT_SCALE_FACTOR=${SCALE} GDK_SCALE=${SCALE} GDK_DPI_SCALE=${SCALE} CLUTTER_SCALE=${SCALE} ELM_SCALE=${SCALE} $*

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jery View Post

        I've just been looking for that this morning... and in fact it already somehow works, using the experimental feature:
        Code:
        $ gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features "['scale-monitor-framebuffer']"
        I found later today that some X11 applications do not work very well when it is enabled (eclipse for eg), but the other option I use for scaling my windows is a small script:
        Code:
        cat ~/bin/scale
        #!/bin/bash
        
        SCALE=${SCALE:-1.33}
        
        QT_SCALE_FACTOR=${SCALE} GDK_SCALE=${SCALE} GDK_DPI_SCALE=${SCALE} CLUTTER_SCALE=${SCALE} ELM_SCALE=${SCALE} $*
        I also use this feature but it does not render the gnome shell itself perfectly yet. You should see the "pixelated" icons and fonts in the shell.

        Comment


        • #5
          Typo:

          Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          This Mutter update also now allows reportinf the

          Comment


          • #6
            Regarding Gnome, does someone knows how to get rid of Screen Shield/Curtain/Whatever thing with a clock that pops up every time a computer blanks the screen? I have installed Disable Screen Shield extension on Ubuntu 18.04, but the damn screen is still there after the screen is blanked...

            Also, as I do not use Nautilus or similar programs, I'm too used on commander-type managers like Double Commander, is there an extension that would display external USB drives with option to safely remove them? I have found Removable Drive Menu, but that one just unmounts the drives, it does not turn them off (so I do not see the point of it).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by zzarko View Post
              Regarding Gnome, does someone knows how to get rid of Screen Shield/Curtain/Whatever thing with a clock that pops up every time a computer blanks the screen? I have installed Disable Screen Shield extension on Ubuntu 18.04, but the damn screen is still there after the screen is blanked...
              Do you mean the screen lock? You should be able to disable it via Settings->Privacy

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by aelo View Post
                I also use this feature but it does not render the gnome shell itself perfectly yet. You should see the "pixelated" icons and fonts in the shell.
                I dont think pixelation can ever be totally avoided for fractional scaling - after the scaling the images no longer align perfectly with the pixel grid.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by You- View Post

                  I dont think pixelation can ever be totally avoided for fractional scaling - after the scaling the images no longer align perfectly with the pixel grid.
                  But it should look better than this:
                  https://ibb.co/B2MDfnb

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by treba View Post
                    Do you mean the screen lock? You should be able to disable it via Settings->Privacy
                    I already did that, but the screen with clock is always there regardless, after screen blanks.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X