Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.31.3 Released As Another Step Towards GNOME 3.32

Phoronix: GNOME 3.31.3 Released As Another Step Towards GNOME 3.32

GNOME 3.31.3 was released today as the latest development stepping stone towards next March's GNOME 3.32 desktop environment update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Decreased memory usage for GJS but possibly slower performance as a result.
    Are you sure it isn't possible to have both things at the same time? (decreased memory usage and good performance)

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      This again? The "big hammer" did exactly that some time ago.
      Please, make Gnome 4 without javascript happen!

Comment

.__. really? gjs is just plain horrible

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
          .__. really? gjs is just plain horrible
          Well!

Either

32gb for normal operation on an i7

*or*

16gb for normal operation on an i9

Alternative!

4gb with XFCE for flying performance on an AMD E450 (2 x 1.6ghz). No gjs, no stuttering... and you can use your stuff..

Comment

- Decreased memory usage for GJS but possibly slower performance as a result.

people using gnome wants better performance. Whats the point here? less 100mb of ram and less performance for something already slow

Comment

Comment

Hi, I'm the GJS maintainer. There seems to be a mistake in the original post, as that item about GJS was a backport to GNOME 3.28 of something already released in 3.30. It has nothing to do with any GNOME 3.31 release.

Originally posted by tessio View Post

Yes, this is the same "big hammer", only being backported to GNOME 3.28. There is no further decrease in performance.

I backported it to 3.28 after feedback from a few large distros (primarily Ubuntu) that they have been running it in their LTS for some time and on the whole it makes the experience better. However, as I explained in the release notes, distros are not obligated to take the update if they prefer not to have it. For more information, read the release notes of GJS 1.52.5 (corresponding to GNOME 3.28): https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gjs/tags/1.52.5

For accurate information about what really went into GJS for GNOME 3.31.3, read the release notes from GJS 1.55.3: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gjs/tags/1.55.3 As you can see it is quite minor.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Are you sure it isn't possible to have both things at the same time? (decreased memory usage and good performance)
                  Of course it's possible. You can read my blog post on what needs to be done to solve this problem for good: https://ptomato.wordpress.com/2018/1...t-the-garbage/

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post

Yes, this is not a "reduced memory at expense of performance again". The mailinglist post itself clearly points out this is a *backport* of the same patch to Gnome 3.28 (gjs-1.52.5). The "Big Hammer" was always intended to be a temporary fix until expandos are implemented. Even when it was written it was acknowledged as a short-term "lesser-of-two-evils", not a permanent fix.

Comment

Working...
                    X