Firefox 64.0 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
    What is the state of open source driver blacklisting as of Firefox 64?
    As far as I can say, same as ever and forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post

As far as I can say, same as ever and forever.
      Anyone knows why? What is the major problem with the open source drivers that browsers like Firefox and Chromium can't work?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        Yeah, it is great, that way you can feel proud you are using a bad fork because you are too inept to install the real deal...
        You are welcome to your opinion. I'd like to clarify that I do not hold Arch in contempt; on the contrary I use it on my raspberry pi as well as a couple headless virtual servers. No one is disputing that it is upstream for Manjaro either.

I am only attempting to give credit where credit is due. This isn't the first time the Manjaro devs have released important packages before Arch. Things like this show they care about taking care of vulnerabilities in a timely manner, as opposed to just waiting for it to come from upstream.

Both the Arch devs and Manjaro devs do an excellent job of providing good systems to use. And, of course, Manjaro wouldn't be the system it is without Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post

You are welcome to your opinion. I'd like to clarify that I do not hold Arch in contempt; on the contrary I use it on my raspberry pi as well as a couple headless virtual servers. No one is disputing that it is upstream for Manjaro either.

I am only attempting to give credit where credit is due. This isn't the first time the Manjaro devs have released important packages before Arch. Things like this show they care about taking care of vulnerabilities in a timely manner, as opposed to just waiting for it to come from upstream.

Both the Arch devs and Manjaro devs do an excellent job of providing good systems to use. And, of course, Manjaro wouldn't be the system it is without Arch.
          Dude, it was just a few hours. Firefox is already updated in the Arch repos...

I disagree that Firefox is an "important package". It is NOT. It is a browser. You can use another while you are waiting for an update. You can even update it yourself. You can just use ABS, get the script, and make the package yourself, while you are waiting for the official release. 90% of the time updating a package yourself is as simple as just increasing the version numbers in the PKGBUILD and changing the hash of the download (or just using --skipinteg).

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            Hardware video decode?
            Good question.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              Hardware video decode?
              For which SBC you want that?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Anyone knows why? What is the major problem with the open source drivers that browsers like Firefox and Chromium can't work?
                The lack of manpower/interest of Mozilla and Google.

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

For which SBC you want that?
                Any sane user would want that, no matter if he uses a SBC, mobile or desktop pc.
                Last edited by juno; 12 December 2018, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Firefox does still not support:Feature comparison between Firefox 64 and Chrome 71
                  Last edited by uid313; 12 December 2018, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                    The lack of manpower/interest of Mozilla and Google.
                    True, but it is also becasue of very complicated situation of Linux GPU drivers (many not compatible variations, etc. in short: bad state).
                    "Walled garden" Linux forks where hardware and GPU drivers are strictly controlled (Android, ChromeOS) - GPU acceleration is not an issue.

Example from my PC (Fedora on Intel Core i7-6700K + proprietary driver for GeForce 1070):
                    Firefox acceleration by default is disabled, but it could be enabled manually.

Scenario 1: iGPU Multi-Monitor manually disabled in BIOS; nVidia as primary GPU (so Intel GPU is disabled)
                    No issues with Firefox acceleration - all is working OK.

Scenario 2: iGPU Multi-Monitor enabled (default BIOS setting); nVidia as primary GPU (but Intel GPU is also available)
                    Firefox with acceleration looks to work OK - even 4K videos, until... going full screen... On full screen video is freezing...
                    Workaround 1: Sleep PC and wake it up... I have no idea why, but after that video acceleration is working OK even on full screen.
                    Workaround 2: Open weird Gnome internal terminal (Alt+F2 lg) and run command: Meta.disable_unredirect_for_screen(global.screen)

I do not use Intel GPU anyway, so for me Scenario 1 where Intel GPU is disabled is OK.
                    But as general setting for every Linux user - sadly but as for today acceleration really should be disabled by default (at least if Firefox recognise my specific configuration).

PS. Yes, I know that people that are using proprietary drivers in Linux should know that it is very bad idea and there will be consequences... It is true and in perfect world majority of Linux enthusiasts should avoid proprietary products like nVidia GeForce... But reality is that many Linux users have nVidia, so they cannot be ignored (for example many reports on https://www.protondb.com/ are from nVidia users).

PS2. Of course my next GPU will not be nVidia.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

I imagine how much has been tested! I also like to have the latest version of the software, but not at all costs. The distributions before making the available software should do some quality tests. So hurry is never the best way.
                      We have the nightly and beta channels, that's where you do the testing

Comment

Working...
                      X