Firefox 64.0 Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
    Michael_S Try benchmarking Epiphany on Linux and you might be shocked once again. I've seen it beat both Chrome and Firefox in some tests. It's basically the GNU/Linux equivalent of Edge. It's basic when it comes to features, it's specifically developed for GNU/Linux and it can show some pretty good performance.
    I benchmarked Epiphany and it tied Firefox in two of the four benchmarks and lost badly in two others.

I wish the Epiphany developers and users all success in the world, I have nothing against the project. But my hope is that Blink/WebKit does not become the One Browser Engine To Rule Them All. That's why I follow Firefox closely. That's also why I'm sad that EdgeHTML is being killed - though the world is in a sad, sad state when anyone has to hope Microsoft helps push the market in a good direction.

uid313

Thanks for the info on WebRender on Linux. I use Firefox Nightly as my regular browser, so I should get WebRender when Firefox 65 is released, well before May.

With respect to Edge vs. Chrome or Firefox, on the Chrome side I think Chrome Browser is one of the crown jewels in the Google treasury. So my wild guess is that money is no object to hire the best performance engineers on the market for every target platform, and they are happy to adjust their platform-independent code to allow Windows-specific shims for the sake of speed. (Edit: and consider that Edge's Daddy is Internet Explorer 11, and Chrome eats that for breakfast for speed.)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

I benchmarked Epiphany and it tied Firefox in two of the four benchmarks and lost badly in two others.

I wish the Epiphany developers and users all success in the world, I have nothing against the project. But my hope is that Blink/WebKit does not become the One Browser Engine To Rule Them All. That's why I follow Firefox closely. That's also why I'm sad that EdgeHTML is being killed - though the world is in a sad, sad state when anyone has to hope Microsoft helps push the market in a good direction.

uid313

Thanks for the info on WebRender on Linux. I use Firefox Nightly as my regular browser, so I should get WebRender when Firefox 65 is released, well before May.

With respect to Edge vs. Chrome or Firefox, on the Chrome side I think Chrome Browser is one of the crown jewels in the Google treasury. So my wild guess is that money is no object to hire the best performance engineers on the market for every target platform, and they are happy to adjust their platform-independent code to allow Windows-specific shims for the sake of speed. (Edit: and consider that Edge's Daddy is Internet Explorer 11, and Chrome eats that for breakfast for speed.)
      Opera's Presto engine... dead.

Microsoft's EdgeHTML engine... dead.

One small hope is that Apple is maintaining WebKit2 and it has heavily diverged from Google's Blink engine (used in Chrome & Chromium).

Some high level info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebKit#Forking_by_Google

So we have 3 big engine players: Apple, Google & Mozilla.

Mozilla also appear to be making huge changes to Firefox's engine. They are practically rewriting the whole thing. If this trend continues and Pale Moon stays operational, then Pale Moon will effectively be maintaining a completely separate engine to the one used in Firefox. This would mean we have 4 options. However; I doubt that Pale Moon will get much market share any time soon. It's still a positive thing to have it though.

My dream is for Microsoft to Open Sourced the EdgeHTML engine and Opera to Open Source Presto. Then some enthusiasts could get to work modernizing, refactoring and building out those engines.

My biggest concern is that Mozilla will be taken over by a certain type of person and destroyed from the inside out. I see some signs that attempts are already being made to do this. (I'm not dropping labels because I don't want to start a flame war)

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

Opera's Presto engine... dead.

Microsoft's EdgeHTML engine... dead.

One small hope is that Apple is maintaining WebKit2 and it has heavily diverged from Google's Blink engine (used in Chrome & Chromium).

Some high level info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebKit#Forking_by_Google

So we have 3 big engine players: Apple, Google & Mozilla.

Mozilla also appear to be making huge changes to Firefox's engine. They are practically rewriting the whole thing. If this trend continues and Pale Moon stays operational, then Pale Moon will effectively be maintaining a completely separate engine to the one used in Firefox. This would mean we have 4 options. However; I doubt that Pale Moon will get much market share any time soon. It's still a positive thing to have it though.

My dream is for Microsoft to Open Sourced the EdgeHTML engine and Opera to Open Source Presto. Then some enthusiasts could get to work modernizing, refactoring and building out those engines.

My biggest concern is that Mozilla will be taken over by a certain type of person and destroyed from the inside out. I see some signs that attempts are already being made to do this. (I'm not dropping labels because I don't want to start a flame war)
        I haven't looked at Pale Moon in quite some time, I may give it another look.

I agree that making EdgeHTMl and Presto open source would be beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          Hardware video decode?
          AFAIK, only chromium-vaapi and epiphany have (bitstream) hardware video decode on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Stebs View Post

AFAIK, only chromium-vaapi and epiphany have (bitstream) hardware video decode on linux.
            And good luck getting them to work properly on AMD hardware

Edit: This is how it looks on Epiphany currently: https://imgur.com/a/2Fi989D

Edit 2: To be fair though, Totem has the same issue so it's not Epiphany's fault, but a deeper problem. MPV works fine which leads me to believe the problem is in gstreamer.
            Last edited by Brisse; 12-14-2018, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Yes, they removed "Live Bookmarks" (RSS Feeds) because it wasn't used much, and the burden of maintaining it was not deemed worth it. Now without it, Firefox can be streamlined and secure. If you want RSS feeds you can use browser extensions or a RSS reader application.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...arks-migration
              https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ements-firefox
              Came here to talk about that.
              They developed far more useless features and all sorts of unwanted stuff.
              This is something I used.

One of my oldest bookmarks is the Phoronix RSS feed as a live bookmark.

And now, the only way to get that functionality back is to let an extension access all my bookmarks and browsing tabs.
              Privacy and security... Right...

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

And good luck getting them to work properly on AMD hardware

Edit: This is how it looks on Epiphany currently: https://imgur.com/a/2Fi989D

Edit 2: To be fair though, Totem has the same issue so it's not Epiphany's fault, but a deeper problem. MPV works fine which leads me to believe the problem is in gstreamer.
                Don't need luck when I have Google (well Startpage, that is)
                Set this environment variable: allow_rgb10_configs=false
                So for example, the Desktop starter should have this command:
                env allow_rgb10_configs=false epiphany %U

Works also for Chromium-vaapi
                Bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=106490

Comment

If you read so far you may be interested in my analysis of GCC and Clang performance and GCC PGO+FDO optimized Firefox 64 binary (which seems both smaller and faster)
                  http://hubicka.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X