KDE Developers Had A Busy Week With Revising Icons, Discover & KWin Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by misp View Post

When power manager turns off monitors, after prolonged period they won't turn on. Have to reset PC. Known issue.
    Yup, but that's not a KDE fault, that's a problem with -Intel's- buggy ACPI table compiler that -all- OEM vendors use... The -only- known solution is to recompile your BIOSes ACPI table. That's the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Yup, but that's not a KDE fault, that's a problem with -Intel's- buggy ACPI table compiler that -all- OEM vendors use... The -only- known solution is to recompile your BIOSes ACPI table. That's the problem.
      Left yesterday GNOME overnight. (U18.10) Worked fine.

Kubuntu, few Weeks before didnt work properly

Comment

Left yesterday GNOME overnight. (U18.10) Worked fine.

Kubuntu, few Weeks before didnt work properly
        Try a different KDE spin. Ubuntu is specifically known to under support their KDE spin. It would be no surprise that theirs exhibit ACPI bugs. Also, -every- machine really -should- have its ACPI table recompiled regardless of distribution or desktop spin. It's possible to avoid ACPI bugs (caused by Intel's ACPI compiler) by simply not using those features, but people need low power states, sooo.....
        Last edited by duby229; 05 November 2018, 10:16 AM.

Comment

When power manager turns off monitors, after prolonged period they won't turn on. Have to reset PC. Known issue.
          I've only been experiencing something like that recently, though I haven't updated my system since around June. I assume I'm not affected as my ASUS monitor works fine and powers up with display output pretty quickly on resume from suspend. My 2008 AOC monitor though... that one seems to have trouble and surprisingly takes about an hour now before it suceeds at whatever it's doing prior to outputting anything on the display.

Comment

Ahem, there is also MS's ACPI compiler, which adds fun and games to the task https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...t-asl-compiler

Also, there are also genuine bugs in ACPI tables code, many times there are actual bugs. As it's not something like dts which are just descriptive text, ACPI is actually some form of code.

Comment

Also, -every- machine really -should- have its ACPI table recompiled regardless of distribution or desktop spin. It's possible to avoid ACPI bugs (caused by Intel's ACPI compiler) by simply not using those features, but people need low power states, sooo.....
              How do you do that? Do you have a link?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post

How do you do that? Do you have a link?
                Sure, if you're having trouble finding info, you should search for a DSDT guide. Arch has a pretty good wiki, here is their guide.

Comment

Working...
                X