Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Developers Had A Busy Week With Revising Icons, Discover & KWin Work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE Developers Had A Busy Week With Revising Icons, Discover & KWin Work

    Phoronix: KDE Developers Had A Busy Week With Revising Icons, Discover & KWin Work

    KDE developers had another busy week working on improvements to their open-source desktop environment on several fronts...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nts-4-Nov-2018

  • #2
    I wish KDE had some more eye-friendly colour theme. It's screaming blue everywhere, starting with KDE logo. At least Konqui is green, I wish they promoted green more. Glad that there are no-blue-folders breeze icon themes on kde-look. I always hated blue icons in KDE and replaced them whenever I could. They look horrible to me on default grayish UI theme. Windows in my opinion has always had much better balanced colour theme.
    Last edited by reavertm; 11-04-2018, 12:33 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Flatness seems to be trendy these days... I actually don't mind subtle gradients with subtle hints of glossy look, so long as it's consistent between KTK3 and Qt5 toolkit in regards to theming. Alas, I'd prefer the GTK3 theming, namely Adwaita and Adwaita-dark. Elementary Loki has a cool theme as well, at least in my opinion. The reason why I chose GTK3 over Qt5 for polish is because of Qt5's lack of header bars.

      Don't get me wrong, though. Everyone has their own preferences.

      As for icons, I don't mind gradients and some subtle glossy/translucent elements. Flat looks really are not to my taste. Maybe a balance between Windows 8's Metro design and Windows 7's (or even Vista's) Aero Glass theme, if you know what I mean.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by reavertm View Post
        I wish KDE had some more eye-friendly colour theme. It's screaming blue everywhere, starting with KDE logo. At least Konqui is green, I wish they promoted green more. Glad that there are no-blue-folders breeze icon themes on kde-look. I always hated blue icons in KDE and replaced them whenever I could. They look horrible to me on default grayish UI theme. Windows in my opinion has always had much better balanced colour theme.
        Blue is consistently found to be the most popular choice of a favorite color in surveys. KDE is also happy to distinguish its (20 years of) blue branding from Qt's green. Good luck convincing people to make this switch.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by reavertm View Post
          I wish they promoted green more.
          openSUSE or Manjaro have green themes don't they? Manjaro's one is Breath / Breathe I think?

          Comment


          • #6
            Blue is a nice color for a t-shirt. Not for a thing that shines light into your eyes.

            I've realized, like people in previous comments, that it is horrible because florescent color is really emphasized everywhere. It is not ergonomic. One of the worse things in its design is when font color gets inverted on mouse over (context menus). KDE really, really has horrible ergonomy (IMO).

            Everybody wants that redshifts thing because of sleep patterns and whatever. This blue should become something else where this whole thing makes sense and you don't get headaches from using your PC.

            One more thing. Imagine being happy when your system can wake up normally from turned off screens (because of power manager).

            /rant

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by misp View Post
              One more thing. Imagine being happy when your system can wake up normally from turned off screens (because of power manager).
              What's this about?

              Also, if you don't like the defaults, you can change them pretty easily. Some distros don't even ship KDE with the default blue primary that you're going on about.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by polarathene View Post

                What's this about?

                Also, if you don't like the defaults, you can change them pretty easily. Some distros don't even ship KDE with the default blue primary that you're going on about.
                When power manager turns off monitors, after prolonged period they won't turn on. Have to reset PC. Known issue.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by misp View Post
                  When power manager turns off monitors, after prolonged period they won't turn on. Have to reset PC. Known issue.
                  I'm getting it only on Wayland, is it wayland-only?
                  It's actually the only thing that is keeping me from using it atm.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Not sure if only, but i do use Wayland because od hidpi

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X