X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    How to fix GNOME:

- Have the Dash to Dock extension inside the shell by default
    I prefer the Dash to Panel version. However I suspect this change was more about not getting sued than usability.

- Drop CSD, or at least fix it (especially in some dialogs where the OK/Cancel buttons are in the top bar)
    - Reduce the thickness of the title bar in non-CSD applications
    - Remove a little of air in the UI
    I like these.
    - Support desktop icons again (but not via Nautilus)
    The extension for this is available now. Last I checked its still a little rough, but it works.

- Stop breaking extension API
    - Don't run JavaScript in the main shell thread
    Cant do both.

- Next time you want to add/remove a feature, first make a poll. This way you please most of your users.
    terrible idea IMO.

Comment

- Fix XWayland timer-based VSync and learn to sync to the display's blank interval
      - Fix Mutter on high-end graphics cards (yes, it feels slower on them)
      Upvote this merge request!
      https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte...e_requests/171

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

terrible idea IMO.
        Have any reason why?

Comment

Originally posted by gorgone View Post
          sorry but gnome fails in just about every possible way.
          the usability is getting worse in every new version in a way that you can't even imagine anymore
          It's one of the reasons I moved back to Windows full-time. It's an imperfect OS but at least it's usable for doing work.

There is nobody in the Linux space who cares about usability. The UI / DE areas are a mess of random, ill-thought out experiments and the users are on the losing end.

I still check in with Phoronix every now and then to see if anything's improving though.

Comment

Good riddance. The menus belong on a menu bar. This was a dumb idea taken from the Mac OS UI. Now just go back to folder icons on deskop, a start menu and a taskbar by default and Gnome could actually be a sane and useable environment again.

Comment

It's an either or proposition. Make each app switch globally in userspace to show all the specific functionality, ala OS X/macOS, or shove it into the hamburger theory.

Problem with the hamburger theory is it creates a lot of horizontal submenus rapidly when using very complex applications. Unless every app is some glorified wrapper around a UNIX utility/process that the idea is myopic at best, and completely moronic at worst.

Picture AutoCAD in the Hamburger Menu structure. Blender in the Hamburger Menu Structure. It's retarded. Make global menus already, ala OS X. Every app window you click brings to focus it's parent application menu across the top.

Comment

These work well on mac, but Gnome's implementation has never been quite right. I guess if you can't do it well, just delete it.

Comment

I think almost everyone agrees that randomly splitting a single menu into two is meaningless and confusing. So, yeah, go for it.

Comment

Hamburgers belong in my belly, not in GUI's. GNOME needs to get rid of that hamburger nonsense and work on creating a functional global menu, like Unity. Or... just bring back Unity 🤔

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

It's one of the reasons I moved back to Windows full-time. It's an imperfect OS but at least it's usable for doing work.

There is nobody in the Linux space who cares about usability. The UI / DE areas are a mess of random, ill-thought out experiments and the users are on the losing end.

I still check in with Phoronix every now and then to see if anything's improving though.
                      Why don't you just use XFCE? It has remained sane and stable all this time while everyone else has been running around in circles doing crazy experiments

Comment

Working...
                      X