Trinity Desktop R14.0.5 Preparing For Release As Maintained KDE3 Fork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity Desktop R14.0.5 Preparing For Release As Maintained KDE3 Fork

Phoronix: Trinity Desktop R14.0.5 Preparing For Release As Maintained KDE3 Fork

It's been a while since last hearing anything about the Trinity Desktop Environment, which is a fork of the KDE 3.5 desktop, but a new release is on the way...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great stuff, nice to see this project still alive, I loved KDE 3 back in the day and used it plenty.
    Although I've moved on these days mostly to XFCE, it makes me want to put something together to give this a whirl on!

Comment

kde 3, especially in opensuse's version, was the easiest, fastest and most intuitive DE i've ever used.
      writing a script that printed out, on a irc chat a name and author of a song played by amarok (another formerly great software) took me a couple of lines only

Comment

Can you imagine if the best and brightest minds of the open source community came together around 2-3 DE projects instead of spreading themselves so thin that they lack manpower and resources?

Comment

All five users will be thrilled to read the news…

Comment

I am interested...
            What are some good reasons to use this other than Windows XP era nostalgia?

Comment

Originally posted by makam View Post
              I am interested...
              What are some good reasons to use this other than Windows XP era nostalgia?
              Probably similar to using MATE - not liking successors (GNOME 3 and Plasma).

Well, I like MATE development better because instead of making fork of old toolkit (GTK 2), they rewrote desktop to new (GTK 3) with keeping GNOME 2 UI and UX. We can get GTK 3 advantages like better HiDPI support or Wayland backend. Trinity has no plans to migrate from forked Qt3 to Qt5.

Comment

Originally posted by menneskelighet View Post
                Can you imagine if the best and brightest minds of the open source community came together around 2-3 DE projects instead of spreading themselves so thin that they lack manpower and resources?
                Can you imagine if those minds on Linux didn't have to rewrite and "port" to newest shiny crap every couple of years because of incompetent morons who can't keep a library stable forever and just expand on it instead of changing it?

Imagine that, we'd actually make some progress instead of resetting it every time. You know the year of the Linux desktop will never come because they keep resetting it everytime thinking "this time's the charm" but then people'll just reset this one again by design. Never gonna happen.

Now think about why these DEs exist in the first place. They try to be the resistance, the sane DEs that see the putrid atmosphere around here, and try to make it better. Respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  All five users will be thrilled to read the news…
                  Q4OS uses Trinity by default and there are quite a few users (including me off and on - I would use it full time if they'd change their base from Debian to Solus ;-)).

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Probably similar to using MATE - not liking successors (GNOME 3 and Plasma).

Well, I like MATE development better because instead of making fork of old toolkit (GTK 2), they rewrote desktop to new (GTK 3) with keeping GNOME 2 UI and UX. We can get GTK 3 advantages like better HiDPI support or Wayland backend. Trinity has no plans to migrate from forked Qt3 to Qt5.
                    Trinity is working on Qt4 support - an internal build is already working (not great, but it sort-of works). After that, migration to Qt5 (or Qt6, by the time the Qt4 port is done) will be a lot easier.

Comment

Working...
                    X