No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 6.1 Branches & Now Under Feature Freeze, LibreOffice 6.2 On Master

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 6.1 Branches & Now Under Feature Freeze, LibreOffice 6.2 On Master

Phoronix: LibreOffice 6.1 Branches & Now Under Feature Freeze, LibreOffice 6.2 On Master

LibreOffice has reached its hard feature freeze and branching period with the first beta release being imminent...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I love LibreOffice, I use it all the time, and I like that list of features. Still, seeing "2003" in there somewhat makes my heart sink, since it reminds me of why so many people will probably never take this great project seriously…

Comment

Hope that the window boarders will be shown again on Plasma-Wayland. There are other Gtk apps with the same problem, but for LibreOffice it hurts the most.

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post
        I love LibreOffice, I use it all the time, and I like that list of features. Still, seeing "2003" in there somewhat makes my heart sink, since it reminds me of why so many people will probably never take this great project seriously…
        Excel 2003 XML is a predecessor of OOXML (that's uses now by MS Office), but it is not compatible with it. It was introduced with Office 2003, but it was not used a lot as it was never default (that was still the MS binary formats - you know - xls). Still it got some use (especially for automatic generation of documents as it is fairly simple XML format) so documents exist out there for this format. MS Office still supports it.. at least reading.

In LO we supported Excel 2003 XML format but it was implemented as a xlst transform which is ... unmaintainable. With LO 6.1 it will be handled by an extrernal library which already handles some other formats in LO, and the support for this format is now better than ever.

Adding support for more formats and make the import of those formats better is what makes the people take this great project seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post
          Office's legacy formats never die, even improvements in supporting Office 2003 formats are very welcome to have for millions of people out there.

Comment

Working...
          X