Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubuntu 18.10 Officially Switching From LXDE To LXQt

Phoronix: Lubuntu 18.10 Officially Switching From LXDE To LXQt

After working on Lubuntu-Next for a while in transitioning from the GTK-based LXDE desktop environment to the modern and maintained LXQt desktop environment that is powered by Qt5, the Lubuntu 18.10 will be the release that officially moves over to the LXQt desktop and pushes out LXDE...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All the applications I use run on GTK toolkit - Firefox, Thunderbird, Libreoffice suite, JRE, etc. I don't see much reason to use QT based desktop, especially if you are running on a low end PC. I don't think this move to QT by LXDE is a good one. I am pretty sure Raspbian will stick to their version of LXDE.

Comment

I just wish the QT and GTK camps could put their heads together and make a unified theming framework.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
        I just wish the QT and GTK camps could put their heads together and make a unified theming framework.
        We used to have a unified theming framework, at least conceptually. Red Hat developers deprecated theming engines in GTK 3.14 and made things like oxygen-gtk and QtCurve impossible.

Comment

Well, the point of LXDE and Lubuntu is being lightweight. Qt is anything but lightweight.

Comment

Qt is anything but lightweight.

Qt is used in Automotive/IoT industries and is most definitely lightweight because it includes everything needed to get the job done without needing outside dependencies.

Comment

Since SVG and CSS are both scriptable, could not a program be made to convert a Kvantum theme to GTK theme or vice-versa? However, with amazing themes like Breeze, Nota, and Ark having versions for both toolkits, I don't think it's worth the effort. Still, that wouldn't solve the difference between the Gnome and KDE design styles (human interface guidelines). To add to that, even if both projects adopted the same style, there wouldn't be a guarantee that developers would follow that style.

T.l.d.r.: So, it's probably never going to happen...

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                Well, the point of LXDE and Lubuntu is being lightweight. Qt is anything but lightweight.
                LxQT uses a bit more resources but still pretty lightweight.

Lubuntu 18.04 uses ~ 220MB (LXDE)
                Lubuntu daily uses ~ 290MB (LxQT)

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  It has always been rumored that Qt is bloated so programs written in Qt should be bloated. Some even argued that the LXDE developers made a wrong decision on the migration to LXQt. Why not replace the assumptions with some experiments? In fact, LXQt 0.11 even uses slightly less memory than XFCE (with gtk+ 2). After [...]

So should be still quite lightweight...

Comment

Originally posted by Vasant1234 View Post
                    All the applications I use run on GTK toolkit - Firefox, Thunderbird, Libreoffice suite, JRE, etc. I don't see much reason to use QT based desktop, especially if you are running on a low end PC. I don't think this move to QT by LXDE is a good one. I am pretty sure Raspbian will stick to their version of LXDE.
                    If you're running low end PC it's a big reason to switch to Qt. As far as I noticed if you run more Qt applications at once their memory footprint should be lower than gtk equivalents. Furthermore, Gnome 3 uses about twice as much memory as KDE: 480 MB vs 1.2 GB.
                    Last edited by Guest; 19 May 2018, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X