Firefox 61 Beta Brings Quantum CSS Improvements, Faster Tab Switching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 61 Beta Brings Quantum CSS Improvements, Faster Tab Switching

Phoronix: Firefox 61 Beta Brings Quantum CSS Improvements, Faster Tab Switching

Rounding out today's Firefox 60 release comes with promoting Firefox 61 to beta...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And soon we'll hear the sound of another Turd from Moz splashing into the bowl.

Comment

Does one of you know about the status of wayland and touch?

Comment

Originally posted by krach View Post
        Does one of you know about the status of wayland and touch?
        With the Firefox-Nightly wayland build you get a blank page and you don't see the mouse pointer on Plasma-Wayland (besides no Window frames, wrong font dpi/scaling, wrong mouse pointer if you start with the -p profile parameter)... never tested how good it works on Gnome, but there are still several open blocking bugs too. Touch works with a config setting, but as it seems to introducd other bugs, it is disabled as well. And hardware acceleration is still blocked for Linux. Don't know how many more years Mozilla want to spent until they improve the basics for Linux, but some of the bugs are related to Gtk too.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          And soon we'll hear the sound of another Turd from Moz splashing into the bowl.
          Damn, the edges of this post cut me through the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
            Touch works with a config setting, but as it seems to introducd other bugs, it is disabled as well.
            Do you mean this one:

MOZ_USE_XINPUT2=1

I just tried this. It almost works. Seems to support scrolling, pinching and holding for context menu, but quite buggy. It mostly zoomed when I want to scroll with one finger Back to ScrollAnywhere addon

Comment

Originally posted by krach View Post

Do you mean this one:

MOZ_USE_XINPUT2=1

I just tried this. It almost works. Seems to support scrolling, pinching and holding for context menu, but quite buggy. It mostly zoomed when I want to scroll with one finger Back to ScrollAnywhere addon
              Yes, this option. It works, but is slow... just compared it to Falkon on Wayland, which is butter smooth and the touch events like scrolling and zooming feel natural like on a mobile. I think I need to reconsider Falkon, there I just miss my password hasher addon (which is essential to me) :-(

Comment

And hardware acceleration is still blocked for Linux.
                It's not blocked, it's just not enabled by default. I'm running with `layers.acceleration.force-enabled` since basically forever.

Comment

Originally posted by johnp117 View Post
                  It's not blocked, it's just not enabled by default. I'm running with `layers.acceleration.force-enabled` since basically forever.
                  I use it as well, but without being the default it's not available to most users and hence I said it's blocked. Mozilla should do some homework.

Comment

With the Firefox-Nightly wayland build you get a blank page and you don't see the mouse pointer on Plasma-Wayland (besides no Window frames, wrong font dpi/scaling, wrong mouse pointer if you start with the -p profile parameter)... never tested how good it works on Gnome, but there are still several open blocking bugs too. Touch works with a config setting, but as it seems to introducd other bugs, it is disabled as well. And hardware acceleration is still blocked for Linux. Don't know how many more years Mozilla want to spent until they improve the basics for Linux, but some of the bugs are related to Gtk too.
                    Fedora 28 with Gnome, Firefox nightly with Flatpak works otherwise fine but fonts are rendered partially on top of each other and EGL context can't be created

Comment

Working...
                    X