No announcement yet.

GIMP 2.10 Released With A Ton Of Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember back in the day I tried "gimpshop". It was incredible. One developer fixed all the main issues with gimp??? Single window mode? Check. Works just like Photoshop? Check? You could follow a Photoshop tutorial and it would pretty much work identically in gimp. Check!

It was amazing. But it was buggy. Crashed a lot. This wasn't gimpshop's fault ... at the time gimp was just that buggy.

Eventually gimp's stability got better, but gimpshop stopped making their tweaked version. This was a sad day.

I remember the day when gimp finally got single window mode. For my work flow this was the best feature. Minimize gimp and declutter all the goofy toolbars along with the main app? Who'd a thunk it?

But at the end of the day, had gimp accepted the gimpshop patches they would have been miles ahead.

Comment

TemplarGR,

You make some excellent points. I don't disagree with you.

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
      People who think the community owes them a complete opensource photoshop clone with 100% feature parity.
      I 100% agree. Nobody owes me...but I sure as heck WANT a free Photoshop clone with 100% feature parity.

I also want a free helicopter, an Olympic sized swimming pool, and ... and ... sorry, I just got stuck on the free lunch and got side tracked.

You cannot attack the GIMP project just because it does not provide exactly what you want for free.
      Gimp is pretty darn good. And yes, free is great too.

This culture of entitlement displayed here is very disturbing.
      I think I agree with you. But the facts are confusing.

We are in some strange sci-fi future where software is free. But we aren't expected to take it for granted?

I also want people who write good software to make a good living doing it. In some fundamental way I clearly don't understand free software.

Flame wars aside, "free" as in price isn't a get out of jail free card from criticism. Comparison is inevitable, especially between software programs (free or otherwise). Some of this comparison will no doubt be received as critical.

As the devil's advocate, if someone didn't want their software to be criticized they could simply not release it at all. I could go one step further and be a cheeky and say that expecting no criticism when launching software into the world is a bit disturbing!

As much as I like free software, it's kind of strange. Should everyone who gives out free software "wise up" and start charging us leeches and teach us (and themselves) a lesson and stop all this entitlement? Then laugh the criticism all the way to the bank?

It's worth repeating... In some fundamental way I clearly don't understand free software.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

Not yet.
        I can't understand this still happens, really

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post

You can't understand why CMYK is a lower development priority than non-destructive editing or making GIMP use an actually maintained toolkit?

Comment

No one is putting a gun on your head to use GIMP though. GIMP is a free software given to you as a gift by its developers. Like it? Use it. Don't like it? Use something else, or code your own software.

You cannot attack the GIMP project just because it does not provide exactly what you want for free.

This culture of entitlement displayed here is very disturbing.
            Very well stated.

To team GIMP, keep up the positive work and thank you, my go to photo editing/creation software

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Big complex software is often too awkward to upgrade things like UI toolkits if portability isn't thought about from an early point in the project. Anything Gtk+ or Gnome often have too many dependencies to be very portable and light anyway.

That said, important software such as Maya is still using an old version of Qt so it is quite common place to make sure you are using an operating system that has a good focus on backwards compatibility.
              ... did not want to be a criticism, I thank everyone involved in open source software. Perhaps because of the complexity of this software the Gnome team could have helped.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post
                You can't understand why CMYK is a lower development priority than non-destructive editing or making GIMP use an actually maintained toolkit?
                I've been following a german computer related news site called Heise.de (the most famous one). Reading the comments of the participants clearly show, that there is a huge demand for CMYK color support because of the industry demand these people work in (offset printing etc.).

Das Warten hat ein Ende: Gimp 2.10 ist da. Sechs Jahre sind seit der vorigen Version vergangen. Endlich rechnet die freie Bildbearbeitung in hoher Farbtiefe. Als Zugabe gibts viele moderne Funktionen und eine schicke Oberfläche.

So you can't simply say that CMYK has a lower development priority, while there is still a huge demand within the industry (customers demands, company demands etc.).

Another major complaint was the gray in gray "colored" windowing and images that came with Gimp. People complain that they are hard to distinguish and that you can't get a meaning out of them by just watching flatened grayed symbolic like icons. People wish, there would be an option, so the old colored icons and symbols can be placed in again.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                  I've been following a german computer related news site called Heise.de (the most famous one). Reading the comments of the participants clearly show, that there is a huge demand for CMYK color support because of the industry demand these people work in (offset printing etc.)...

So you can't simply say that CMYK has a lower development priority, while there is still a huge demand within the industry (customers demands, company demands etc.).
                  Oh, but I can! Watch me

"Huge demand" is simply an overstatement. Almost everyone who uses this kind of software needs non-destructive editing (planned for 3.2). Only prepress people need CMYK. That makes our priorities crystal clear.

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                  Another major complaint was the gray in gray "colored" windowing and images that came with Gimp. People complain that they are hard to distinguish and that you can't get a meaning out of them by just watching flatened grayed symbolic like icons. People wish, there would be an option, so the old colored icons and symbols can be placed in again.
                  Introduction¶ GIMP 2.10 is the result of six years of work that originally focused on porting the program to a new image processing engine, GEGL. However the new version ships with far more new features, including new and improved tools, better file formats support, various usability improvements, revamped color …

"There are now 4 user interface themes available in GIMP: Dark (default), Gray, Light, and System. Icons are now separate from themes, and we maintain both color and symbolic icons, so you can configure GIMP to have System theme with color icons if you prefer the old look."
                  Last edited by prokoudine; 29 April 2018, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post

I would prefer Inkscape or another Vector program able to handle CMYK. I don't see a desperate necessity to have four colors, the fact is not just CMYK we would need also to manage spot colors, without spot colors or multichannel, I don't see any relevant difference between rgb and cmyk colors space. However if you want save your photos in TIFF CMYK you can easily do it with imagemagick.

By the way so far I understood with GEGL implementing CMYK colors and sport colors should be feasible and easy so we are already on the way!

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post

If you want an operating system that's focused on backwards compatibility then use ReactOS.
                      ReactOS is a free, opensource reimplementation of windows

It's still in alpha but testing is encouraged.
                      Nobody is going to gamble a $200 monthly rental subscription of Autodesk Maya with reactos. Anyway my bro uses gimp on windows for game development. When he canceled his adobe photoshop they charged him a cancellation fee. He told me he will never use any of adobe products again.

Comment

Working...
                      X