Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Candy

What is the point?

Do you want a commercial software? buy whatever you want to whatever price! But does exist (beside Krita) any other open source application like Gimp? I don't believe it.
    Eventually Krita is focused mainly on painting and it is great, but Gimp is still superior for manipulating photos, and now has received a lot of cool improvements.

Gimp 2.8 was ready to be used on production and I used it for a while with satisfaction, and I preferred use it instead of Photoshop because it was lighter and faster and I didn't need to do heavily photo retouching. By the way I will always prefer Gimp and to be free that using a commercial software and to be dependent by someone else that sees me only as source of revenue...

I consider myself enough able to use Gimp and to do my job with the same time and the same quality of another professional that uses whatever super pro software.

We have waited so much time to see this release that today it is a celebration day for Gimp, speaking bad about Gimp is totally silly, we already knew the issues about Gimp developing so I am really glad that the Gimp team was able, despite everything, to release it!
    Last edited by Danielsan; 27 April 2018, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      About as much as GIMP is a replacement for photoshop
      I mean, it is a descendant of the Gimp Tool Kit, so what schmidtbag said is probably more true than the statement that "The GIMP is a replacement for Adobe Photoshop". I have just yet to grasp why you have to act like a jerk about it.

Comment

Code:
         [h=2]GIMP for Windows[/h] There is no Windows installer yet, sorry. Please check back later.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          I mean, it is a descendant of the Gimp Tool Kit..
          GNU Network Object Model Environment Desktop Enviroment used Gimp Tool Kit to troll Trolltech and Kool Desktop Enviroment a bit...

Long story short - Gnomes & Trolls : The Secret Chamber

Corporations fought i used just X Window Manager, never was dependant on any GUI toolkit
          Last edited by dungeon; 27 April 2018, 05:36 PM.

Comment

still no windows download, :|

Comment

Some people are really dissappointed that the software they paid a fortune for (GIMP) is not up to bar......

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                Some people are really dissappointed that the software they paid a fortune for (GIMP) is not up to bar......
                And perhaps I am one of them. I tested GIMP 2.10 and discovered that it does still not support CR2 RAW files from my Cannon 550 DSLR which I purchased in 2011. The first impression was almost like when Photoshop released their CS versions. A few new colors , some new icons and it is still mostly the same.
                On the other hand I realize that GIMP have done a bit of "prep-work" and with some luck it's better built to handle "the future" whatever that is

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                  And perhaps I am one of them. I tested GIMP 2.10 and discovered that it does still not support CR2 RAW files from my Cannon 550 DSLR which I purchased in 2011.
                  At least you can use RawTherapee to open these and then edit it in GIMP:

https://www.daviesmediadesign.com/op...mages-in-gimp/
                  Last edited by dungeon; 27 April 2018, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Big complex software is often too awkward to upgrade things like UI toolkits if portability isn't thought about from an early point in the project. Anything Gtk+ or Gnome often have too many dependencies to be very portable and light anyway.

That said, important software such as Maya is still using an old version of Qt so it is quite common place to make sure you are using an operating system that has a good focus on backwards compatibility.
                    It's called win32

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
                      Does it finally support CMYK?
                      Not yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X