GIMP 2.10 Released With A Ton Of Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

"Software inspectors"? Did you actually have people come to your office to check licensing? Who were they? Government people? I haven't heard of this before.
    The BSA, most likely.

The Business Software Alliance, a trade group representing Adobe, Apple and Microsoft, is known to offer cash payments to people who help them find companies that run unlicensed software. Today we speak with an attorney who has represented more than 250 defendants in these cases, which are regularly triggered by disgruntled employees.

Comment

I keep using Photoshop until Gimp comes with non-destructive editing. Last time I've used it, some texture region got lower/distorted pixels...

Comment

Sonadow MS Paint is a part of Windows OS, and Windows licence is not free. That put aside, MS Paint afaik can't blur, sharpen, balance, colour curves, glow, emboss... Export options are also extremely limited. You're very close to trolling when comparing Gimp to MSPaint.

cybertraveler Yes, ssokolow is right, BSA is always an option in EU, but even our tax service is enough. Because, you can't sell something if you don't have the means to do it or a partner to get it from - that means you are evading taxes by hiring "in black market"... State does not like taxes being ended by small fish

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Adobe Photoship?
          For all your photo editing needs when you're out on the ocean.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
            Candy
            Eventually Krita is focused mainly on painting and it is great [...]
            Stop spreading that nonsense already. Yes, Krita is great for painting and stuff, but it's not focused on just that anymore. Nowadays, it's a terrific photo editor as well and you can do most, if not all stuff that GIMP can do and they're expanding the photo editing feature set as well.
            Last edited by Vistaus; 28 April 2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

All of which can be done on MS Paint starting from the version bundled in Vista. And available right out of the box without needing to download additional software.
              And with various other Linux apps as well (mtPaint, gThumb, ePhoto, Pixel, Pinta, etc.). But that's not the point 'cause software like the GIMP is much more complex in terms of features.
              Last edited by Vistaus; 28 April 2018, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
                GTK+ 3 (or possibly 4) is the primary roadmap "feature" for GIMP 3.0. That could still be years away though. Who knows?
                Wouldn't it be better to start a branch for GTK+ 4 and start working on the GTK+ 4 port right away on that branch? I know that GTK+ 4 hasn't had a final release yet but most features are finalized or near-final and given the amount of work to be done with the small amount of devs that the GIMP has, it's better to start on the port ASAP IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

"Software inspectors"? Did you actually have people come to your office to check licensing? Who were they? Government people? I haven't heard of this before.
                  Not sure about the USA, but over here it's very common.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Stop spreading that nonsense already. Yes, Krita is great for painting and stuff, but it's not focused on just that anymore. Nowadays, it's a terrific photo editor as well and you can do most, if not all stuff that GIMP can do and they're expanding the photo editing feature set as well.
                    Except... Do Krita developers know that?

Ask Boud and tell us what he says, verbatim

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

This joke hilights an important fallacy: some people think money is the only resource of value.

Some people are time rich and cash poor, some people are cash rich and time poor.

If a person is time poor spending 1 - 4 days mucking around just to figure out how to do basic text transformations and configuring their expected shortcuts, figuring out how tools function & differ, etc... comes at a high time price.

Many would gladly give $100 for a tool on linux that is half as good as photoshop if not literally pay a monthly subscription fee to have photoshop or an equal. I have already purchased Pixeluvo for basic cropping and color editing.

GIMP is improving, I hope their newfound zeal carries them into 3.0 rather quickly (8 months - 1 year)
                      There is only one fallacy here: People who think the community owes them a complete opensource photoshop clone with 100% feature parity.

I know that money is not the only resource. Thank you captain obvious.

No one is putting a gun on your head to use GIMP though. GIMP is a free software given to you as a gift by its developers. Like it? Use it. Don't like it? Use something else, or code your own software.

You cannot attack the GIMP project just because it does not provide exactly what you want for free.

This culture of entitlement displayed here is very disturbing.

Comment

Working...
                      X