No announcement yet.

Fedora Workstation 28 Is Shaping Up To Be Another Terrific Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive always have prefrred Fedora but thier Ryzen Mobile support has sucked the last few times ive loooked. Im not sure which distro i willl go with for the long term install on my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by dcrdev View Post

In what sense?

----------------------------------------

I really want to be using Flatpaks for things but am finding it difficult to adopt them - so far I've not been able to find a single flatpak that is useful to me. They all seem to overlook things that I think are critical for example:

Visual studio code - the paths for things like Python, dotnet are not included in the flatpak definition i.e. things like debugging and linting don't work out of the box.

VLC - the paths for the libva drivers aren't included in the flatpak definition i.e. hardware acceleration doesn't work out of the box.

GTK file picker user mounts and bookmarks aren't carried over into flatpaks .
      Yes, flatpaks are going through growing pains, most of them are result of running inside a container, and not having things available, that incidentally previously were available.

The vscode issue is due to flatpak-ed apps not seeing your native os root - they are supposed to run in a container after all, so this is the result. Vscode will see your python or dotnet, if you have them in your home directory.

VLC - you probably need to install org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel

GTK mounts and bookmarks depend on the application, or it's privileges. If it has permission for filesystem=host, it will see user mounts. If it has permission filesystem=home, it will see your bookmarks. Not all apps need these permissions. This should change with the portals.

There's also the KeepassXC problem, where the browser extension won't work. Again, due to sandbox and different paths to a shared file.

Comment

The article seems to mention the disaster that is CONFIG_SATA_MOBILE_LPM_POLICY=3 by default in Fedora 28. This does save some power on the laptops where it does not have major disastrous effects like random data loss (specially older HDDs) and total system freezes with no logs on some motherboards (the case on my Lenovo G50-80 laptop).

The solution to those who want to try Fedora 28 on a laptop is to add ahci.mobile_lpm_policy=1 or 0 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= in /etc/sysconfig/grub

Can't wait for the shitstorm if this is deployed in corporate environments. Interestingly, Ubuntu is also going with CONFIG_SATA_MOBILE_LPM_POLICY=3.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Tumbleweed (OpenSUSE rolling release) does not break, Manjaro and Chakra (Arch derivatives) and Linux Mint Debian (based on Debian Testing) don't. Really it's 2018, the world is ready.
          I was going to say the same thing in my original post - it's 2018, it's OK to have a constantly up-to-date version.

But .... whatever. I guarantee you there are folks on this site that are still using 2.6.x kernels and are happy with their modern features.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Debian testing and sid have rolled since year 2000 and have not break. Debian package dependencies prevents system from breaking. What you have is missing or incompatible packages but it is easy to use alternative packages and remove non working. You install Debian testing/sid only once and update when needed.
            Debian unstable breaks every month. Or it did when I ran it for a while. I was always manually patching broken configurations where someone had only HALF migrated a database or some similar thing.

Gentoo was better for reliability, honestly. At least until I unmasked the development Gnome packages and the alpha GCC builds. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by chenxiaolong View Post
              My favorite thing is that Fedora 28 will have the latest version of systemd-resolved and NetworkManager, which support split DNS.
              It's been working with NM + dnsmasq for years. I use that on all my systems, have done since like F22 or something.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
                The article seems to mention the disaster that is CONFIG_SATA_MOBILE_LPM_POLICY=3 by default in Fedora 28. This does save some power on the laptops where it does not have major disastrous effects like random data loss (specially older HDDs) and total system freezes with no logs on some motherboards (the case on my Lenovo G50-80 laptop).

The solution to those who want to try Fedora 28 on a laptop is to add ahci.mobile_lpm_policy=1 or 0 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= in /etc/sysconfig/grub

Can't wait for the shitstorm if this is deployed in corporate environments. Interestingly, Ubuntu is also going with CONFIG_SATA_MOBILE_LPM_POLICY=3.
                Disaster? I'm the developer responsible for this and have asked people to test this a long long time in advance of the release: https://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/18412.html so far there have been a few bug-reports, which have all been resolved quickly.

There actually already is a bugreport open for the Lenovo G50-80: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1571330 that laptop seems to be a special case because the problem is not (as it is usually) with the disk's firmware, but it seems any disk using DIPM (device initiated powermanagement) on that laptop causes the laptop to freeze, but only when changing the screen brightness, so this seems a bug in the laptop firmware or some such, still figuring out what to do with this particular case.

For anyone reading along here, if you see any problems which go away when passing ahci.mobile_lpm_policy=0 on the kernel commandline line, please file a bug here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bu...product=Fedora choosing kernel as component, or if you prefer send me a direct mail at [email protected] . I'm treating all bugs surrounding this very seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by hansdegoede View Post

Disaster? I'm the developer responsible for this and have asked people to test this a long long time in advance of the release: https://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/18412.html so far there have been a few bug-reports, which have all been resolved quickly.

There actually already is a bugreport open for the Lenovo G50-80: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1571330 that laptop seems to be a special case because the problem is not (as it is usually) with the disk's firmware, but it seems any disk using DIPM (device initiated powermanagement) on that laptop causes the laptop to freeze, but only when changing the screen brightness, so this seems a bug in the laptop firmware or some such, still figuring out what to do with this particular case.

For anyone reading along here, if you see any problems which go away when passing ahci.mobile_lpm_policy=0 on the kernel commandline line, please file a bug here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bu...product=Fedora choosing kernel as component, or if you prefer send me a direct mail at [email protected] . I'm treating all bugs surrounding this very seriously.
                  Total system freezes with no logs and data loss is a disaster. Is this actually going to be default? Blaming the laptop in advance of wide release doesn't really resolve the problem.

Comment

I'll admit I am quick to scream DISASTER and TOTAL SCANDAL if something breaks on one of my computers. Thank you for looking into this Hans.

Comment

Working...
                    X