GNOME 3.28 Is Being Released This Next Week With Many Features & Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoatally View Post

Are you talking about me? When I was talking about trolling earlier I was doing so in reference to the kind of shit you find on OMG Ubuntu and not talking about anyone specific here although this place can be pretty toxic at times.
    I was talking about you because I felt like you were insulting people because of different workflow ideas.
    Because it is very extended in the current Linux world. As you can see above, people subjectively hate stuff and they think the world has to get rid of it because they don't like it. They can't accept that others have different workflows and use some other stuff. It's really annoying to have so many egocentrics blabbing about.

The problem is there's always more work than there are people to do it. I think that the GNOME developers have a vision and for the most part that aligns with how I want to use my computer but they seem to lack the resources to make it happen quickly. That means they have to choose wisely where to spend their resources, and I'm not saying that they always do, but in the case of getting rid of desktop icons and letting a third party implement the system tray there's at least some sense to it.

I'd love to see a proper welcome process that walks the user through first time configuration, where to get extensions and what the major extensions are. I think that would solve some of this, but I don't know how and where to best suggest this. Bugzilla and mailing lists are a barrier to entry that I honestly cannot be bothered breaking.

That's got to be my biggest issue with GNOME, that it's difficult to give feedback even for a more technically minded user.
    I think they have an interesting overall vision but every decision they make in implementing it is going against the way I see my workflow. Sadly (for me). But yet again, it doesn't matter so much and I wouldn't be ranting about it if Unity was still here.

What you state is indeed a real problem for newcomers. As an experienced Linux user, I can easily find my way by informing myself and looking for ways to tinker with Gnome and have it roughly working as I would like it to but most users won't and will be discouraged when they can't easily find back their usual way of doing things.
    Last edited by Mez'; 13 March 2018, 06:55 AM.

Comment

The unapproved message issue is popping back again (2nd time in a few days).

Comment

Yeah, post of mine got completely swallowed.

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
        It doesn't matter if you hate them. That's just your subjective opinion and nobody cares about it or about mine (I have no use for it either).

What matters is that many users include it in their workflow. And you have to respect that. I'm sick of people that want to remove features because they don't have an open enough mind to just acknowledge and respect others might need and/or like it.

A 2018 operating system (or DE) has to include this feature (with the use of 1 or 2 clicks tops) if it respects its users.
        It was never intended to be part of the GNOME 3 experience in the first place, it was offered as a convenience for people to migrate and nothing more. It has nothing to do with respecting users as there were already a handful desktop environments that cater to those who want a more traditional experience, and today there are even more that offer similar but different experiences.

Claiming that a piece of software that doesn't meet your exact needs is 'not respecting its users' is a load of nonsense, especially when that software is clearly trying to cater to people like myself whose needs it does fulfil.

That'd be like me claiming KDE is disrespectful because it's got so many configuration options, when in reality I just don't care to be able to tweak every possible thing from a GUI and find the visual clutter distracting rather than useful.

Comment

The unapproved message issue is popping back again (2nd time in a few days).
          It's there now. The forum software likes to mess up sometimes.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yeah, post of mine got completely swallowed.

It was never intended to be part of the GNOME 3 experience in the first place, it was offered as a convenience for people to migrate and nothing more. It has nothing to do with respecting users as there were already a handful desktop environments that cater to those who want a more traditional experience, and today there are even more that offer similar but different experiences.

Claiming that a piece of software that doesn't meet your exact needs is 'not respecting its users' is a load of nonsense, especially when that software is clearly trying to cater to people like myself whose needs it does fulfil.

That'd be like me claiming KDE is disrespectful because it's got so many configuration options, when in reality I just don't care to be able to tweak every possible thing from a GUI and find the visual clutter distracting rather than useful.
            You don't. Other people do.
            We're not moving forward.

And again, I'm not try to defend my village here, since I remove them straight away (whether it be on Unity before, on Gnome now or on W10 at work). It's just that if I think as someone whose it's part of the workflow (and I see it every day at work), I would feel left off and frustrated, and it does not make sense in 2018.

Comment

I guess we'll find out tomorrow exactly what kind of state the desktop icons are in. Hopefully they at least address it in the release notes.

One other thing that's frustrating is the development experience. There should be tools for building and testing extensions but there are not, I should be able to test extensions without risking messing up my actual desktop environment and there should be auto completion for the extension APIs.

If we had these tools I'd be more than willing to develop this extension myself.

Comment

It doesn't matter if you hate them. That's just your subjective opinion and nobody cares about it or about mine (I have no use for it either).

What matters is that many users include it in their workflow. And you have to respect that. I'm sick of people that want to remove features because they don't have an open enough mind to just acknowledge and respect others might need and/or like it.

A 2018 operating system (or DE) has to include this feature (with the use of 1 or 2 clicks tops) if it respects its users.
                I understand it's just my opinion. But the rest of my post points out that they already have the ability to enable them outside of the file manager. They explicitly state that they didn't remove it 'just because we don't use it' they removed it because the code that was in Nautilus was an ugly hack that hasn't been maintained in a long time (I think they said 10 years?) and was something that only worked because of some Xorg code, so wouldn't work correctly in Wayland.

So they re-implemented it into an extension. Sounded fair to me.

Comment

Working...
                X