Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i3 v4.15 Tiling Window Manager Released

Phoronix: i3 v4.15 Tiling Window Manager Released

Today marks the first release of the i3 tiling window manager in 2018...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I use and love it. It does have it's simplicity as a drawback, eventually. But if you don't like headaches, it's a great tiling manager. Behaves predictably.

Comment

i3-sensible-terminal and i3-sensible-editor are just wrapper scripts: https://build.i3wm.org/docs/i3-sensible-terminal.html https://build.i3wm.org/docs/i3-sensible-editor.html

Comment

Ha. In the meanwhile, sway actually seems very competitive at this point. My biggest annoyance last time was clipboard support, and most of the directions (primary/selection and wayland/x11) seem working!

Comment

Originally posted by rubdos View Post
          Ha. In the meanwhile, sway actually seems very competitive at this point. My biggest annoyance last time was clipboard support, and most of the directions (primary/selection and wayland/x11) seem working!
          My biggest annoyance with Sway was that I could not get dmenu to work, which is pretty much essential for navigating around (yes, I know there are other options, but I'd like to at least have dmenu as a fallback). Not sure if it's been fixed yet, last time I tried was a few months ago with then latest stable release.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

My biggest annoyance with Sway was that I could not get dmenu to work, which is pretty much essential for navigating around (yes, I know there are other options, but I'd like to at least have dmenu as a fallback). Not sure if it's been fixed yet, last time I tried was a few months ago with then latest stable release.
            Pretty sure you can use it somehow. FYI: Rofi does now work over XWayland; I use it with -no-window and a floating modifier in my .config/sway/config. It doesn't self centre, but it's workable :-)

Comment

Originally posted by rubdos View Post

Pretty sure you can use it somehow. FYI: Rofi does now work over XWayland; I use it with -no-window and a floating modifier in my .config/sway/config. It doesn't self centre, but it's workable :-)
              Yeah, Rofi is nice but like I said: I want dmenu as a backup at least. If I don't have it as a backup, then I can't even try using Sway.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Yeah, Rofi is nice but like I said: I want dmenu as a backup at least. If I don't have it as a backup, then I can't even try using Sway.
                I just tried dmenu, seems to work as-is. You should try it :-)

Comment

Working...
                X