Epiphany Tech Preview Delivers Flatpak'ed WebKitGTK+ Browser Daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Anything that was midrange or better in 2007 is fine. With like 50$ tops you get a good enough used PC.

If you don't have 50-100$ to buy a new PC after like a decade, you have bigger issues than browsers.
    Or simply different priorities...
    and even in some places of the developed world, $50 is already 1/10 of the monthly paycheck...
    Add this to the "need" to buy a new smartphone every 12 months (because browsers stop working there too), you quickly get to the point where you don't want to replace something that works.

Comment

Anything that was midrange or better in 2007 is fine. With like 50$ tops you get a good enough used PC.

If you don't have 50-100$ to buy a new PC after like a decade, you have bigger issues than browsers.
      i cant say iv'e ever seen a PC on the market here in Australia for that much?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
        i cant say iv'e ever seen a PC on the market here in Australia for that much?
        On ebay there are swarms of used workstations that are perfectly fine and are sold for bargain prices, see here in ebay AU https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lenovo-T...cAAOSw9zhZ4W1L

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
          Or simply different priorities... and even in some places of the developed world, $50 is already 1/10 of the monthly paycheck...
          Add this to the "need" to buy a new smartphone every 12 months (because browsers stop working there too), you quickly get to the point where you don't want to replace something that works.
          Great strawmanning, but no part of your post has no bearing on my point. And the smartphone statement is plain bullshit.

Anything Core2Duo and later is fine for a web browser (I also browse fine with a Pentium D 945), I mean processors that came out in 2007, 10 years ago, that can be now bought for peanuts. If you still have a PC that can't run a modern browser you should upgrade instead of strawmanning to make it look a smart choice to not let go decrepit stuff.

If you can't let go you should recognize this is your own fetish while most of the world has moved on.

Comment

Great strawmanning, but no part of your post has no bearing on my point. And the smartphone statement is plain bullshit.

Anything Core2Duo and later is fine for a web browser (I also browse fine with a Pentium D 945), I mean processors that came out in 2007, 10 years ago, that can be now bought for peanuts. If you still have a PC that can't run a modern browser you should upgrade instead of strawmanning to make it look a smart choice to not let go decrepit stuff.

If you can't let go you should recognize this is your own fetish while most of the world has moved on.
            I have a fairly modern laptop (from 2016 with 2015/2016 hardware), but my financial situation has changed since then and if this one ever breaks (the screen with its plastic casing is already starting to malfunction, but the rest of the laptop is made out of magnesium so that should last a lot longer), I won't be able to buy a new one, not even for $50. But sure, I could simply stop eating, stop paying rent, stop paying the electric bill, etc., all to buy a new laptop... Or any of those just to save $50. But that's not very realistic 'cause I think it's more important to survive than to buy a new (used) laptop.
            Last edited by Vistaus; 25 January 2018, 08:06 AM.

Comment

On ebay there are swarms of used workstations that are perfectly fine and are sold for bargain prices, see here in ebay AU https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lenovo-T...cAAOSw9zhZ4W1L
              interesting, i wouldnt have thought anyone would bother selling a $55 PC on ebay. problem would be shipping it, if it turned up an wasnt working, the seller would basically have to give the Money Back so is it worth doing?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                i tried it on youtube, Crashed immediately
                Funny, epiphany didn't crash in my experience and runs A LOT better than Firefox, runs YouTube fine, even on Flatpak. (It's a really bad cpu for notebooks, AMD C-"something")

Comment

Originally posted by fagnerln View Post

Funny, epiphany didn't crash in my experience and runs A LOT better than Firefox, runs YouTube fine, even on Flatpak. (It's a really bad cpu for notebooks, AMD C-"something")
                  Epiphany for me just doesnt work when it comes to Media, either i get the famous webkit crap " aww snap " or it'll just Crash

Comment

Working...
                  X