Epiphany Tech Preview Delivers Flatpak'ed WebKitGTK+ Browser Daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphany Tech Preview Delivers Flatpak'ed WebKitGTK+ Browser Daily

Phoronix: Epiphany Tech Preview Delivers Flatpak'ed WebKitGTK+ Browser Daily

Thanks to several efforts coming together, there's now an Epiphany Technology Preview project delivering you a bleeding-edge GNOME web-browser in a sane and easily deployable manner...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

it's sad the fact that many of "alternative" browsers, like Epiphany (Web) and Qupzilla (falkon?) isn't updated on official ubuntu repository.

Firefox and Chromium runs poorly on old machines.

Comment

Originally posted by fagnerln View Post
      it's sad the fact that many of "alternative" browsers, like Epiphany (Web) and Qupzilla (falkon?) isn't updated on official ubuntu repository.

Firefox and Chromium runs poorly on old machines.
      Chrome/Chromium should run fine on old Machines, where firefox wont its to bloated IMO , i still think Epiphany is a Crapola browser, will it handle Audio/Video any better in this Tech Preview ? prolly not

Comment

i tried it on youtube, Crashed immediately

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Buy a new one. The Chromium browser runs fine and uses all the CPU cores of the Amlogic S912 octa core CPU in the 57 usd Sunvell T95Z Plus TV box. I have made a Debian testing Xfce distribution for it.
          not everyone can afford to go out an buy a New PC did you know that.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

Chrome/Chromium should run fine on old Machines, where firefox wont its to bloated IMO , i still think Epiphany is a Crapola browser, will it handle Audio/Video any better in this Tech Preview ? prolly not
            Chrome/Chromium don't even run well on modern computers. Talk about a bloated memory hog. At least Firefox actually exits when you ask it to nicely, instead of closing the window yet continuing to run its processes at full blast indefinitely.

I wouldn't run either one on an old computer. But I certainly wouldn't run any web browser on an old computer via flatpak. That's just adding a lot of extra processing time for zero benefit. I would probably try QupZilla -- that little browser seemed to do OK last time I tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Chrome/Chromium don't even run well on modern computers. Talk about a bloated memory hog. At least Firefox actually exits when you ask it to nicely, instead of closing the window yet continuing to run its processes at full blast indefinitely.

I wouldn't run either one on an old computer. But I certainly wouldn't run any web browser on an old computer via flatpak. That's just adding a lot of extra processing time for zero benefit. I would probably try QupZilla -- that little browser seemed to do OK last time I tried it.
              that Browser doesnt play nicely with Nvidia for some reason. it'll startup but as sdoon as you wanna browserr to a website it'll Crash

Comment

It ( flatpak versino ) works, and starts quickly, which is great. But the tab navigation ( especially once you open > 10 tabs ) really is bad. The combo-box-style navigator they've added is at least somewhat of an improvement, but really, the tabs should shrink like in other browsers. Scrolling the list of tabs is horrible. The combo-box-style navigator doesn't have icons, so it's not as easy to navigate as the tabs are. <sigh>.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
                  It ( flatpak versino ) works, and starts quickly, which is great. But the tab navigation ( especially once you open > 10 tabs ) really is bad. The combo-box-style navigator they've added is at least somewhat of an improvement, but really, the tabs should shrink like in other browsers. Scrolling the list of tabs is horrible. The combo-box-style navigator doesn't have icons, so it's not as easy to navigate as the tabs are. <sigh>.
                  thats another Gripe i have with Epiphany, the Tabs are to ugly an FAT/HUGE. but it'll never really be a serious browser, it Crashes way to much on Video type websites.
                  starting FlatPak apps is kinda slow. https://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2018/0...startup-times/

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                    not everyone can afford to go out an buy a New PC did you know that.
                    Anything that was midrange or better in 2007 is fine. With like 50$ tops you get a good enough used PC.

If you don't have 50-100$ to buy a new PC after like a decade, you have bigger issues than browsers.

Comment

Working...
                    X