Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 60 Is The Next ESR Release, Introducing Policy Engine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Firefox 60 Is The Next ESR Release, Introducing Policy Engine

    Phoronix: Firefox 60 Is The Next ESR Release, Introducing Policy Engine

    For those sticking to Firefox Extended Support Releases, the Firefox 60 branch will be the next ESR version...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ox-60-Next-ESR

  • #2
    Firefox 60 will be an ESR release and the plan is to have the ESR 60.0 release out on 8 May, the Firefox 60.1 ESR release on 3 July, and to end Firefox 52 ESR on 28 August when releasing Firefox 60.2.
    Oh, these Windows XP users again got gratis, that should end in May, then June but now that is end of August
    Last edited by dungeon; 01-12-2018, 06:57 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I wonder how much work it is to set up and use the policies? My four kids are all old enough to use computers but young enough to live at home. So every time I set up a computer, I make six accounts. Then I log in to each account individually and install EFF Privacy Badger, set the default search engine to DuckDuckGo, and disable geolocation access. For newer versions of Firefox I also shut off all the unwanted content Pocket content and recently visited pages list that is displayed when you open a new tab. On my own account I also disable Firefox's ability to prompt for desktop notifications and password saving since I use a password manager.

      It would be really nice to go through the effort to make that work once, in a cross-platform way (since three of the home computers run Linux and two run Windows), and then use that going forward instead of forty minutes of manual work every time I install or reinstall an operating system.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
        I wonder how much work it is to set up and use the policies? My four kids are all old enough to use computers but young enough to live at home. So every time I set up a computer, I make six accounts. Then I log in to each account individually and install EFF Privacy Badger, set the default search engine to DuckDuckGo, and disable geolocation access. For newer versions of Firefox I also shut off all the unwanted content Pocket content and recently visited pages list that is displayed when you open a new tab. On my own account I also disable Firefox's ability to prompt for desktop notifications and password saving since I use a password manager.

        It would be really nice to go through the effort to make that work once, in a cross-platform way (since three of the home computers run Linux and two run Windows), and then use that going forward instead of forty minutes of manual work every time I install or reinstall an operating system.
        I get why you want Privacy Badger, and to a lesser extent, why you want to disable geolocation. But so what about everything else? I think it's good to suggest your kids to use DDG, go let them go about their own route. I understand why you want to remove stupid things like Pocket, but it's not really hurting anything. It's great to let kids be informed of wise decisions, but it's also important that they make their own and learn what works best for themselves. If protecting them is your #1 concern (which I totally understand) I'd recommend you get a firewall, whether that be on your network or installed as a global service on this PC - I think a network/hardware firewall makes the most sense, if your kids have access to multiple devices.

        But also, you could look into writing a shell script that automatically makes all these tweaks for you. Expect it to be packed with sed commands. Just run it via sudo for each user account and you can tweak all their settings from 1 location.

        Comment


        • #5
          Sadly this won't include Webrender enabled by default on all platforms..

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FishPls View Post
            Sadly this won't include Webrender enabled by default on all platforms..
            Eh, it's not yet even on by default in nightlies

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm sure it has nothing to do with this:

              https://www.techworld.com/social-med...n-web-3662578/

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ossuser View Post
                I'm sure it has nothing to do with this:

                https://www.techworld.com/social-med...n-web-3662578/
                Mozilla is trying really hard to be the company nobody likes. You would have to be mentally handicapped to donate to Mozilla at this point.
                Their demise is correlated perfectly with with all the SJW nonsense. It's a shame. The fact that they're the only thing we have keeps saving their asses. We'll see whether Eich can come up with something decent.

                Comment


                • #9
                  This is a useful feature for enterprise, IE was dominant in the past for such use cases
                  Desktop Environment poll:
                  https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...de-do-you-like

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post

                    Mozilla is trying really hard to be the company nobody likes. You would have to be mentally handicapped to donate to Mozilla at this point.
                    Their demise is correlated perfectly with with all the SJW nonsense. It's a shame. The fact that they're the only thing we have keeps saving their asses. We'll see whether Eich can come up with something decent.

                    Mozilla has gone crazy. Every release these days seems to be alienating more and more users. The last good Firefox release was the one from just before they cancelled Firefox OS/FxOS/B2G development. Firefox OS could have been great had they just focused on getting more useful basic features added, and focused on getting it into a mainstream phone.
                    Looks like there are very few good browsers left on Linux to choose from, Opera and Vivaldi are still somewhat usable, Chrome after the new Material UI change is garbage, Firefox after 41 has gotten worse with each new version, Pale Moon has some issues and bugs, Epiphany/GNOME Web is a Safari clone but without any of the new features from Safari, as for Midori; the last time I tried it was terribly slow and could not render very much without crashing; though that was on a Raspberry Pi gen1 B+ and it was almost 4 years ago.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X