X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Wait, what? Wasn't ReFS supposed to be the replacement for NTFS?
    ReFS is not really good for desktop use. It has a specific use cases (databases, servers, etc) and that's it.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by phoenix_rizzen View Post
    They've removed it from the W10 Pro SKU, moving it to the new W10 Workstation SKU. W10 Pro is slowly turning into Home Ultimate.
    People here is still wondering about what kinds of reasoning brought them to make a "Server Lite" W10 and call it "Workstation".

I mean, who the fuck needs ReFS, NVDIMM (persistent RAM), 4 CPUs on the same board, and 6 TB of RAM in a workstation? That's not a workstation man. It's a mid-size server.

The only workstation-y feature is the RDMA support (for 10Gbit networking).

I'm surely interested in it though, especially if they have OEM licenses for that, I'm gonna be rocking it on my laptop for sure if they do.

W10 Pro is slowly turning into Home Ultimate.
    Nah, Pro has always been a "corporate office version of Home", ReFS was not exactly top priority.

Still, I don't like this feature removal from launched products. NOT AT ALL.

Leave a comment:

• fithisux
    replied
    Reactos seems a possible target

Leave a comment:

• phoenix_rizzen
    replied
    Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Then again Microsoft has under it's current leadership made habit of dropping things that they've put a lot of time and money into (Windows Phone and Nokia's old smartphone division being the prime examples) so I probably shouldn't have been surprised at all by this.
    There have been a couple of attempts to "replace" NTFS by Microsoft. None have really gone anywhere. ReFS doesn't really make sense as a local/desktop filesystem, but it does have a nice featureset for a fileserver. They've removed it from the W10 Pro SKU, moving it to the new W10 Workstation SKU. W10 Pro is slowly turning into Home Ultimate.

Leave a comment:

• phoenix_rizzen
    replied
    Error in the article:
    Of course, this is an unofficial port and Microsoft has not expressed any interest in bringing ZFS to Linux, especially given their current focus on ReFS.
    That "Linux" should be "Windows".

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Of all filesystems, why ZFS has to become the best cross-platform one (not that it was hard to beat FAT32 anyway)? Oh god why?

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    Originally posted by nils_ View Post
    Upstreaming ZFS to Linux? This is Oracle we're talking about...
    Oracle upstreamed btrfs to Linux too.

Leave a comment:

• nils_
    replied
    Originally posted by tjukken View Post
    That could be very useful for some people, as Microsoft has removed ReFS for Windows 10 Pro in the fall update..
    This is something that annoys me, same as docker on Windows, WSL and a lot of the rest of the MS ecosystem. They build something that works barely good enough to use and all of the sudden corporate IT has an excuse NOT to allow people to run Linux since "it works on Windows too". This bit me in the ass on 2 separate contracts already, the client expects their Linux people to use Windows to work instead of the best tool for the job. Of course I don't remain long with this kind of client.

Porting free software (although the term "free" is debatable with regards to ZFS) to Windows is counter-productive.

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    Originally posted by tjukken View Post
    That could be very useful for some people, as Microsoft has removed ReFS for Windows 10 Pro in the fall update..

Then again Microsoft has under it's current leadership made habit of dropping things that they've put a lot of time and money into (Windows Phone and Nokia's old smartphone division being the prime examples) so I probably shouldn't have been surprised at all by this.

Leave a comment:

• nils_
    replied
    Upstreaming ZFS to Linux? This is Oracle we're talking about...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X