Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open ZFS File-System Running On Windows

Phoronix: Open ZFS File-System Running On Windows

At the OpenZFS Developer Summit today besides an Oracle engineer talked of hope for upstreaming ZFS in Linux, another interesting session was showcasing Open ZFS running under Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That could be very useful for some people, as Microsoft has removed ReFS for Windows 10 Pro in the fall update..

Comment

Man it would be so cool to actually see this catch on and actually be supported well. I would love to make use of this.

Comment

License wise, I think it might be easier to have ZFS on Windows than Linux. I think this is interesting. I still can't believe that Windows and MacOS don't have checksum metadata as basic requirements for their FS. And I'm not talking CRC. How is it that we still treat digital data as a basic sheet of paper? ZFS and BTRFS aren't advanced FS, they are basic FS. My first job out of university, I was an actuary for a pension fund. We had all (paper) files in quintuplicate (5 copies, not 15), with the 4 extras send at different archive places. Because 40-50 years from now, we might need the actual original agreements and proof of signatures.

Data space is cheap, I don't know why we haven't adopted such measures for our everyday data.

Comment

Upstreaming ZFS to Linux? This is Oracle we're talking about...

Comment

Originally posted by tjukken View Post
            That could be very useful for some people, as Microsoft has removed ReFS for Windows 10 Pro in the fall update..
            Wait, what? Wasn't ReFS supposed to be the replacement for NTFS?

Then again Microsoft has under it's current leadership made habit of dropping things that they've put a lot of time and money into (Windows Phone and Nokia's old smartphone division being the prime examples) so I probably shouldn't have been surprised at all by this.

Comment

Originally posted by tjukken View Post
              This is something that annoys me, same as docker on Windows, WSL and a lot of the rest of the MS ecosystem. They build something that works barely good enough to use and all of the sudden corporate IT has an excuse NOT to allow people to run Linux since "it works on Windows too". This bit me in the ass on 2 separate contracts already, the client expects their Linux people to use Windows to work instead of the best tool for the job. Of course I don't remain long with this kind of client.

Porting free software (although the term "free" is debatable with regards to ZFS) to Windows is counter-productive.

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
                Upstreaming ZFS to Linux? This is Oracle we're talking about...
                Oracle upstreamed btrfs to Linux too.

Comment

Of all filesystems, why ZFS has to become the best cross-platform one (not that it was hard to beat FAT32 anyway)? Oh god why?

Comment

Error in the article:
                    Of course, this is an unofficial port and Microsoft has not expressed any interest in bringing ZFS to Linux, especially given their current focus on ReFS.
                    That "Linux" should be "Windows".

Comment

Working...
                    X