macOS' APFS File-System Performing Much Better Than The Dated HFS+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arokh View Post
    Doesn't need Apple or Microsoft? Haha! Well, I can't say I'm surprised that this is coming from the guy who were posting 9/11 conspiracy theories to prove his "point" in the Pipewire thread.
    The most stupid conspiracy theory is the one about stolen planes which destroyed skyscrapers.

Comment

What's wrong with the OS? Would you call phones/pads desktops? iOS is also macOS, kind of. Darwin with a different UI is better describing it. I'd say the desktop is highly useable and is today the only viable alternative to Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Yep and most of them don't have any clue that the hardware specs place them at about $200-$300 dollar range if they were PCs. Most mac users overpayed by $800 dollars or more. That's why Apples 3% marketshare gets them huge profits. IMO its a damn shame.
        You can make a point without lying about it.

The flash storage ALONE is worth more than $300.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Apple religion has reached critical mass, its niche is self-sustaining and self-propagating. That's the greatest accomplishment of Steve Jobs.

People buying Apple won't buy non-Apple because it is not Apple.
          That escalated quicky... As far as fanaticism goes some people on the forums here are quite good at that, too. Let's review: Michael publishes a benchmark showing that Apples new FS is generally faster than HFS+. A handful of posts later, people start saying it is all crap because they stuck with HFS+ for too long (just as most other well tested FSs have long histories. Afterall, you want bugs to be worked out instead of starting from scratch every few years). After 30 something posts, people are not even concerned with the artice anymore and just share how much they hate Apple and how their customers are all mindless puppets. Right...

I can tell you why I have a MBP. It is quite simple. I want high quality hardware (as in screen, case, battery, keyboard) with decent specs as this is my every day working device. I don't need the GTX something something GPU and I don't want to carry some heavy plastic machine with a low quality screen that squeaks every time I open it with me just because it saves me a few hundred bucks over a usage period of approximately five years. If you actually use the device to work on and earn money the difference in price is almost negligible (and possibly deductable). The main competitor in this regard is Lenovo and those machines are not really cheaper. They do come with a serious downside: They mostly run Windows where most tools and libraries etc pp. I use are not available. They usually are available for macOS via homebrew etc. since it is mostly Unix underneath. And since I actually work on this device instead of tinkering with kernels and CPU-scaling, I really don't want to use Linux just to see my battery life cut in half and having to use some DE I don't like. BTW: Most of my colleages (all in scientific computing) have Macs as their client machines. We're all idiots, I guess

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            I think the biggest problem for Android concerning open source philosophy is that most ARM products can't boot from a stock upstream kernel. There needs to be some kind of standardized ARM "platform". Fix that so that the upstream kernel can boot "standardized" ARM devices and -then- AOSP will finally become viable. For the most part it's not because only the manufacturers kernel can boot that device. And from an end users perspective it's just as good as proprietary. I think all we really need is something that can actually be booted.
            Agree.

Originally posted by eigenlambda View Post
            Android proved Stallman's point about GNU/Linux. Android is Linux and open source. It also is impossible to upgrade past what your manufacturer and carrier think you need, because there's no package manager other than app stores, which aren't meant for upgrading and patching system-level components, and there aren't really many free apps, because the tools for making Android apps are so huge and complicated.

What could have been is a kernel chosen by the manufacturer and a userland that gets updates according to the wishes of the carrier or the user, with multiple IDEs and text editors and build systems.
            It's multi-faceted thing depending on the device you possess.

There are custom ROM's. Well, at least there are for Samsung's. Assuming you do own reasonably popular phone, you are likely to find alternative ROMs for it. Some models have wider selection, some have fewer. My S7 has run AOSPExtended (which is one of the few AOSP ports for it) and also Note7 and Note8 (currently) ports. There are bunch more floating around available, mostly reworked/debloated Samsung stock ROM. Just go and download. S7 does not compare with earlier Galaxy S models I've used. Some have had literally "gazillion" wildly different ROMS available to it.

System level components aren't really an issue, all of it is accessible via TWRP recovery. If a component proves problematic, you cannot update it either - you can erase it from the phone through it (for example AutoPreConfig getting you into "changed SIM" message loop), provided it is not critical component and does not cause instability. I've also updated (zipped files) system components through TWRP recovery.

There is a repository of free apps. F-droid. They also offer apps compiled for Replicant "alternative Android" . Some of the selection is overlapping with Google Store (web browsers and some other stuff) but enough is there for basic use of a phone (web,email,ebooks, games) so that you are not FORCED to install software monster Google Apps is.

If you own a vendor-locked phone, like many Sony models or Cat. Well, be smarter next time, all I can say. Rather buy iPhone instead of Sony or Cat. At least you could have big storage capacity with iPhone (up to 256GB).

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

That escalated quicky... As far as fanaticism goes some people on the forums here are quite good at that, too. Let's review: Michael publishes a benchmark showing that Apples new FS is generally faster than HFS+. A handful of posts later, people start saying it is all crap because they stuck with HFS+ for too long (just as most other well tested FSs have long histories. Afterall, you want bugs to be worked out instead of starting from scratch every few years). After 30 something posts, people are not even concerned with the artice anymore and just share how much they hate Apple and how their customers are all mindless puppets. Right...
            lol, yes
            Last edited by aht0; 26 September 2017, 12:10 PM.

Comment

I really don't want to use Linux just to see my battery life cut in half
              Hi, GruenSein. You are behind the times here. On my devices (right now it's CherryTrail and Broadwell-based hardware) Linux with tlp and Opera battery-saving deliver more hours on battery than Windows on same hardware. So I don't think some Dell or ThinkPad running Linux could upset you on this matter.

having to use some DE I don't like
              Nobody force anybody use DEs they didn't like.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                Propaganda and quite good hardware. However, I'm talking about software here and about macOS especially. Its market share is just about few percent on desktop which is a shame. It's desktop OS since beginning, isn't it? Since you started talking about fanaticism: there are no bigger fanatics than apple boys.
                ehm.. Linux fanboys? /smirk.

I can't remember seeing any Apple fanboy in Phoronix, who'd show up like a clock work on every non-Mac thread and tell everyone how much Linux/BSD/Solaris/Windows/Minix/Dos sucks.. You do it on a regular basis on every non-Linux topic along with some other Phoronix users. Think again.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Test Linux 4.12 and >= 4.13, please. When comes to Apple crap remains crap. Little better FS won't help.
                  You are a toxic person. Enjoy all of those professional productivity apps you have on Linux... oh wait.

Comment

Very cool (I'm @aaronmhamilton on Twitter btw); I saw some more primitive benchmarks showing APFS well behind HFS+ in some synthetic tests, and didn't know what to think of it. This certainly paints a very different picture.

It seems that complex read patterns are much faster under APFS, but complex write patterns are often slower.
                    Last edited by microcode; 26 September 2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                      Reality is the post-American world doesn't need Apple or Microsoft. Deal with it!
                      Are you joking or just live in fantasy land?

Comment

Working...
                      X