macOS' APFS File-System Performing Much Better Than The Dated HFS+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
    Out of curiosity, explain please just how Apple managed to get among top10 most worth companies in the world. While selling "crap" - as you defined it.
    Easy, they sell status symbol, not hardware/software.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post
      You mean like Windows still uses NTFS introduced with NT 3.1 in 1993?
      And Linux still uses EXT4 which "is EXT2 (introduced in 93) with journaling" as you stated elsewhere?
      How about you realize that filesystems can be improved over time?
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 26 September 2017, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Easy, they sell status symbol, not hardware/software.
        They are selling tools. Are you trying to say their customers just parade their products around? This is simply untrue as it's well known they are heavily used and their customer satisfaction rate is among the highest in the industry.

And yes, EXT4 is ancient as well. How about you realize that it doesn't matter if you put make-up on a pig, it's still a pig? EXT4, NTFS, HFS has decades old codebases and this is why they are _all_ being replaced. You may try arguing with that but it would only make yourself look silly. Kind of like trying to make the argument that Apple is successful only as a status symbol.

Comment

Doesn't need Apple or Microsoft? Haha! Well, I can't say I'm surprised that this is coming from the guy who were posting 9/11 conspiracy theories to prove his "point" in the Pipewire thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Darakus View Post

Most people I know have buying patterns about as complicated as: Ohh, Shiney!
            Yep and most of them don't have any clue that the hardware specs place them at about $200-$300 dollar range if they were PCs. Most mac users overpayed by $800 dollars or more. That's why Apples 3% marketshare gets them huge profits. IMO its a damn shame.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
              Apple could go down fast. All it would take is one Mexican telecom billionaire to buyout Canonical and start making Linux tablets and phones. A light-up penguin on the back is worth and easy extra US$200. And you techno geeks know you'd pay it too, so don't boolshiat me.

Reality is the post-American world doesn't need Apple or Microsoft. Deal with it!
              It exists, it's called Android and indeed it's quite popular. But not enough to sink Apple.

Comment

@theauthor - But why? I'd not think anybody would be even interested. If I think of myself as a mere regular OSS fan and do not bother with Apple then why waste time(?).

Comment

Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
                  @theauthor - But why? I'd not think anybody would be even interested. If I think of myself as a mere regular OSS fan and do not bother with Apple then why waste time(?).
                  Because as you can see from the forums... people are interested... and macOS vs. Linux is always quite of interest to many.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

They are selling tools. Are you trying to say their customers just parade their products around? This is simply untrue as it's well known they are heavily used and their customer satisfaction rate is among the highest in the industry.
                    Rolex sells tools. Are you trying to say their customers just parade their products around? This is simply untrue as it's well known they are heavily used and their customer satisfaction rate is among the highest in the industry.

And yes, EXT4 is ancient as well. How about you realize that it doesn't matter if you put make-up on a pig, it's still a pig? EXT4, NTFS, HFS has decades old codebases and this is why they are _all_ being replaced. You may try arguing with that but it would only make yourself look silly. Kind of like trying to make the argument that Apple is successful only as a status symbol.
                    Kid, what world do you live in? Nobody is looking silly when they say that Apple is a status symbol brand bought by the technically illiterate, with a cult surrounding it's false aura of usability while presenting a polished version of a prototype 80s era GUI on the desktop. You on the other hand are looking quite silly by trying to say they aren't.

Comment

They are selling tools. Are you trying to say their customers just parade their products around?
                      No, I'm saying that parading their product around is a requirement higher than functionality (which can get away with being subpar).
                      This is simply untrue as it's well known they are heavily used and their customer satisfaction rate is among the highest in the industry.
                      [citation needed]

And yes, EXT4 is ancient as well. How about you realize that it doesn't matter if you put make-up on a pig, it's still a pig? EXT4, NTFS, HFS has decades old codebases and this is why they are _all_ being replaced.
                      EXT4 is a pig? EXT4 is being replaced? You saw benchmarks?

Don't bunch it together with crap like HFS and NTFS when it is clearly not in the same league on performance, features and stability.

Same goes for XFS, also from 93, also not a pig, also not being replaced.

Comment

Working...
                      X