No announcement yet.

ReactOS 0.4.3 Is Near With New Features, RC1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlike WINE, ReactOS runs Caligari Truespace correctly with OpenGL acceleration in single viewport mode. To me that makes ReactOS more successful than WINE. I think ReactOS is fine as it is, they're progressing well and seem to have fixed up their processes in the last 3 years to the point where they're releasing early and releasing often. I suspect we're going to see some really cool things from them in the next 3-5 years. I don't expect ReactOS will be a drop in replacement for Windows 10, but it already runs Skyrim and doesn't have the NSA spying built into it. Those are all big wins as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

From a technical standpoint, that makes the most sense. From a legal standpoint however, it has potential issues. It means you cannot legally use ReactOS without owning a Microsoft Windows license. I wouldn't be surprised if the developers use this approach though, at least internally, for validating their code.
      You are correct in assuming they use it internally. They gave a talk a couple years ago on their progress which included bits where they took bits and pieces of Windows that requires a lot of interaction with the kernel (including windbg iirc) and dropped them in with the goal that the libraries/programs wouldn't be able to tell they were running on a non-Windows kernel. It worked.

Comment

I wonder if ReactOS could run that PESKY software for TomTom navigation systems (or any other of those horrible W32 only navigation systems).
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
          I don't expect ReactOS will be a drop in replacement for Windows 10, but it already runs Skyrim and doesn't have the NSA spying built into it.
          Both points remain to be proved...

Comment

We need some millionaire to support with hired developers so ReactOS really can become ultrafast Win replacement.

Comment

It really is heartwarming to see the community perception on reactos improve. I'm not a fan of reactos but I think they work is impressive and has great potential.

Comment

There's only thing I find increasingly off-putting about ReactOS.

It's being developed by Russian citizens, utilizing Russian government grants.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
                  There's only thing I find increasingly off-putting about ReactOS.

It's being developed by Russian citizens, utilizing Russian government grants.
                  Honestly, I'd prefer and trust technology affiliated with the Russian government more than technology affiliated with the USA government these days. That said, I personally have nothing to do with either country.

Comment

Hello from ReactOS Team!

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
                    utilizing Russian government grants.
                    That is not true. ReactOS has ZERO grants issued by Russian government

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

It means you cannot legally use ReactOS without owning a Microsoft Windows license.
                      NOPE. Use of ReactOS is completely legal. You do not need any Windows license for using ReactOS.

Comment

Working...
                      X