Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReactOS 0.4.3 Is Near With New Features, RC1 Released

Phoronix: ReactOS 0.4.3 Is Near With New Features, RC1 Released

There are a lot of operating system updates to end out October and begin November... Even the "open-source Windows" ReactOS is out with a new test release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any plans of running some benchmarks on it? It would be interesting to know who is best at making windows: microsoft, or the open-source community?

Comment

Originally posted by b8e5n View Post
      Any plans of running some benchmarks on it? It would be interesting to know who is best at making windows: microsoft, or the open-source community?
      Last check it really wasn't running well enough on any good hardware for benchmarking.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The software support page for ReactOS is actually in a much better condition than I thought. I expected most of the programs listed to fail to install, much less run. Impressive.

They're still a very long way from a full feature replacement for any version of Windows. But I wish them all the luck in the world - it can't hurt to try.

Comment

<--(Reads ReactOS thinking TrueOS, wonders wtf is win32 doing in TrueOS, opens up the forum, realizes his mistake when reads "still a very long way from a full feature replacement for any version of Windows")

Comment

I feel like ReactOS is taking the wrong approach. To me, it should be designed a lot like games such as iodoom3 or openmw where the game engine itself is an open source version of a closed source game, but you need to grab the resources (like textures, levels, sound effects, etc) from the real game. ReactOS should effectively just be an open-source Windows kernel (and maybe shell too) with everything else taken directly from official MS Windows. From there, they can slowly weed out the closed-source binaries.

To me, the benefit of this approach is everything, including stuff like drivers or DirectX, will work just fine and it would be much easier to debug issues as they take things one step at a time.

Maybe it's more complicated than that, but I feel like their current approach isn't working so great.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I feel like ReactOS is taking the wrong approach. To me, it should be designed a lot like games such as iodoom3 or openmw where the game engine itself is an open source version of a closed source game, but you need to grab the resources (like textures, levels, sound effects, etc) from the real game. ReactOS should effectively just be an open-source Windows kernel (and maybe shell too) with everything else taken directly from official MS Windows. From there, they can slowly weed out the closed-source binaries.

To me, the benefit of this approach is everything, including stuff like drivers or DirectX, will work just fine and it would be much easier to debug issues as they take things one step at a time.

Maybe it's more complicated than that, but I feel like their current approach isn't working so great.
              Afaik installing DirectX redistributables from Windows on ReactOS does work, maybe not reliably, but it works. https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-11795

Comment

AFAIK ReactOS uses Wine for its userspace. Wine is an open-source reimplementation of Microsoft Windows system libraries + a compatibility layer to run them (and Windows binaries using them) on Linux/macOS/BSD. ReactOS replaces that compatibility layer with a reimplementation of the actual Windows kernel.

Not sure, though.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  "still a very long way from a full feature replacement for any version of Windows"
                  ...which, BTW, isn't that different from Windows 10. (Though it's a good candidate for full feature replacement of WinME)

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
                  AFAIK ReactOS uses Wine for its userspace. Wine is an open-source reimplementation of Microsoft Windows system libraries + a compatibility layer to run them (and Windows binaries using them) on Linux/macOS/BSD. ReactOS replaces that compatibility layer with a reimplementation of the actual Windows kernel
                  In broad strokes, yes indeed. Wine and ReactOS share code and efforts in re-implementing the Windows user-space.
                  (With ReactOS also re-implementing the win-NT kernel)

see: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/WINE

Comment

From a technical standpoint, that makes the most sense. From a legal standpoint however, it has potential issues. It means you cannot legally use ReactOS without owning a Microsoft Windows license. I wouldn't be surprised if the developers use this approach though, at least internally, for validating their code.

Comment

Working...
                    X