Ubuntu's Unity Desktop Can Now Run Natively On Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by linuxforall View Post

Well if few more Linux users get off the Wayland ship and join Unity, who knows what future holds, right now majority of so called Linux users will say blindly, I hate Canonical, I hate Unity and most have not even tried it. Of course its bloated spyware, thats the given norm. Anyways Canonical survives and those who need it use it like many big and small. Rest have choice to reject it, beauty of Linux world.
    Yeah, I agree with that. Although, I personally think the other way around, Canonical needs to port Unity to wayland and get off their high horse.

Comment

It can run on XP?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Yeah, I agree with that. Although, I personally think the other way around, Canonical needs to port Unity to wayland and get off their high horse.
        Maybe with MIR, lets see.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          It can run on XP?
          No, Only Windows 10 with the linux compatibility layer, not all windows 10 installs have it though.

Comment

It's not about Unity though, It's about Canonical. Have you tried to package Unity? It really isn't possible and they built it that way on purpose. Personally I'm certain Unity would have a bigger share if it didn't lock you into Ubuntu and in the future possibly windows. Canonical can't get more stupid then that. It seems they are intentionally trying to alienate linux users.
            Canonical aren't stupid, this is what they want. They specifically don't want to be just another Linux, they want to be the third desktop OS (and also somewhere in the mobile OS arena). Hence the ejection of all the Red Hat sponsored projects they can get away with.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

Canonical aren't stupid, this is what they want. They specifically don't want to be just another Linux, they want to be the third desktop OS (and also somewhere in the mobile OS arena). Hence the ejection of all the Red Hat sponsored projects they can get away with.
              Maybe it's just my opinion then. It sounds so F-ing dumb though to my mind. Why limit yourself to a platform choice that the majority of your target audience can't stand using?

Comment

Not that you'd wanted to...

Comment

Originally posted by linuxforall View Post
                  Well if few more Linux users get off the Wayland ship and join Unity, who knows what future holds,
                  Well if few more Linux users get off the Linux ship and join FreeBSD, who knows what future holds.

right now majority of so called Linux users will say blindly, I hate Canonical, I hate Unity and most have not even tried it.
                  Point is that Unity lost most of its user share when they decided to not give it a traditional desktop look, it's not a matter of hating.

You don't need to try it, it does not work like a desktop, if you want a desktop, you go xfce, MATE or KDE.

Then there is the crowd hating Canonical for a long series of major stupid non-open-friendly actions. Making their own little versions of most projects instead of contributing to the common shared ones, breaking standards like with Mir, using CLA agreement for contributions, and so on and so forth.

ALso, why "so called Linux users"? If I use a desktop distro with a linux kernel I'm a Linux user. Do I need to not vehemently hate Unity and Canonical to be a Linux user?

Anyways Canonical survives and those who need it use it like many big and small. Rest have choice to reject it, beauty of Linux world.
                  Canonical never made a dime since it was founded, no profits. This is not beauty of linux world, it's stupidity of its investors. Other much more worthy projects died and none can use them again.

Btw there is a Unity for Arch project, dunno how far its gone, I use Gnome on Arch.
                  Unity is on Gentoo and Arch

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
                    Canonical aren't stupid, this is what they want. They specifically don't want to be just another Linux, they want to be the third desktop OS (and also somewhere in the mobile OS arena).
                    Canonical IS stupid, as what you said is indeed what they want, but they have chosen the MS WayTM to do so, which for an opensource project isn't a good choice.

Comment

Maybe it's just my opinion then. It sounds so F-ing dumb though to my mind. Why limit yourself to a platform choice that the majority of your target audience can't stand using?
                      You are looking at it from the wrong perspective.

* Microsoft has lost developer mindshare to OS X
                      * Microsoft want to be "cool and hip" again
                      * Microsoft now has a compat layer that lets you run your prod software with an "apt-get install" (if it's not in the debian world, it's probably not something a windows user will install)
                      * Apt is still more complete than any of the OS X repo projects (homebrew etc)
                      * Canonical want more market share, if the first taste of linux a windows user has in Ubuntu, then they are likely to stick with it (the same reason why students get cheap Apple stuff).

Getting Linux running on Windows is not for Linux users. It's for Windows users, and that my friend is the game that is being played.

Canonical is being rather smart here - why fight for a percentage share of 2% of the desktop market, when you can take the cream off the top of the 90%

Comment

Working...
                      X