No announcement yet.

A Btrfs File-System Kernel Driver For Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, so I found an exe on DriverDetective that purports to e a Windows 8 f2fs driver. My laptop is valuable to me: how do I find out? How good are malware scanners against such a beast? http://www.driverdetectivedownload.c...windows_8.html
    Last edited by pipe13; 23 February 2016, 12:36 AM. Reason: I'd think if there were a legit Windows f2fs driver, Michael would have told us by now...

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
      Okay, so I found an exe on DriverDetective that purports to e a Windows 8 f2fs driver. My laptop is valuable to me: how do I find out? How good are malware scanners against such a beast? http://www.driverdetectivedownload.c...windows_8.html
      You could upload it to virustotal. The possibility of revealing a virus is pretty good, but there's always a small possibility to for a new virus to squeeze trough all scanners. If you're really in doubts, you could just run Windows in something like VirtualBox or QEMU, and install the driver there to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
        You could upload it to virustotal. The possibility of revealing a virus is pretty good, but there's always a small possibility to for a new virus to squeeze trough all scanners. If you're really in doubts, you could just run Windows in something like VirtualBox or QEMU, and install the driver there to check it out.
        Well I could, but that would presume I had a floating Windows license not tied to my laptop, which isn't the case.

I did upload the win8 fsfs driver to virustotal as you suggested. It had been scanned a week ago and scored only 2/55. That's pretty good, right?

</irony>

Comment

Great project! What would be really cool would be if the Linux Kernel Library (LKL) built for Windows could be made to play nice with DDK to build native Windows drivers directly from the Linux source code (basically, automatically keep the drivers up-to-date with Linux development).

One problem is that DDK requires to build with MSVC. I have been working on a few things that relates to this.
          * I applied the (arch-independent) LLVMlinux patches to LKL to build with Clang, which works
          * The next step would be "Clang with Microsoft CodeGen" to build LKL (code parsed by Clang, but output library MSVC-compatible)
          * Another issue that will need to be solved is for Win64 : The Linux source code has some assumptions about the size of "long" which do not work on Win64 since it is LLP64
          .... then a big black box of ignorance ....
          * Get the MSVC-compiled LKL library to play nicely with DDK to directly compile various Linux components/drivers to native Windows drivers

I am sort of stuck at step 2. My laptop is pretty weak and running Windows in a VM to run Visual Studio Community 2015 was very slow and annoying. The whole interface is also pretty limiting (or I am just not used to it) so I sort of gave up (due to lack of time).
          If someone finds the ideas interesting, it would be really cool if someone would pick it up.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

There's always ReFs.
            ReFs supports transparent compression?

Comment

Yes and no. My laptop shares an encrypted home partition between Windows 8.1 and Linux. The filesystem is unencrypted NTFS. The underlying partition is encrypted by TrueCrypt. Works very well.
              What is the relation to the question (OS X)?
              Last edited by drSeehas; 23 February 2016, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
                ... I would recommend trying UDF for usb-sticks.
                How do I format an USB stick or a SD card on Windows (7) with UDF?
                NTFS, FAT32 and exFAT are the only options offered.

Comment

I did upload the win8 fsfs driver to virustotal as you suggested. It had been scanned a week ago and scored only 2/55. That's pretty good, right?
                  </irony>
                  Looks like a Downloader that what to install Adware as additional.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
                    How do I format an USB stick or a SD card on Windows (7) with UDF?
                    NTFS, FAT32 and exFAT are the only options offered.
                    Not with the Windows Tools but i recommend for a stick exFat. Each OS has great support for it, except the Default GNU/Linux Setups but you can install the exfat Kernel driver from Samsung or the slow FUSE driver.

But in 10 Seconds we have the flamewar against exfat and that it is from Microsoft and pure Evil.

Comment

I tried this out but just resulted in mostly hard locks of my system. Was a pretty violent hardlock too, like the driver ripped my CPU out of the motherboard sort of crashing... LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X