A Btrfs File-System Kernel Driver For Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
    When I use a "flash drive" e.g. SD card, I don"t need a partition table for Windows and I can format the whole SD card as a "super floppy"?
    So I have no problem with Windows and OS X.
    Sorry, at that point, I don't have enough experience with Windows.
    I don't know if an SD card without a partition table, formatted as UDF is recognized properly.
    I have not tested this configuration yet.

On the other hand, in my experience, all media that I have formatted *with* the "partition table in the bootloader region pointing back to whole disk formated in UDF" (using tools like format-udf or udfhd.pl) has flawlessly worked with Linux (used to create. That's my main working OS), Windows (when swapping flash stick with friends) and Mac OS X (some work colleagues).

Also, all the SD cards I've encountered have always been partitioned (with sometime special care given to properly align partition to "allocation units" - the big chunks of a few MB used by the wear levelling algorithm of the SD card). Might be a sign that Windows expects to see partition tables on them. But I haven't been testing any patition-less SD cards ever. (And any way, most of the SD cards I use are mainly plugged into Linux only devices, like GPS, Raspberry Pi, etc.) (My brother's 3DS also insist on having a partition table on its microSD card, and is even picky about the partition type in the table).

I would really recommend giving a try to format-udf: it works on both Linux and Mac OS X. So unless you're exclusively stuck with Windows machine(*), you could use it
    (*) - In which case, having a cross-compatible filesystem on your media isn't useful. Nor is using BTRFS. If a media is only used on Windows, better stick to its native formats, liks NTRFS or exFAT.
    Last edited by DrYak; 03-23-2016, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
      Where did you find one yottabyte? NTFS format supports 16 Exabyte maximum size as well.
      NTFS' on disk format has 64 bit block addresses (2^64 - 1 clusters). If the block-size/cluster-size is configured to be 64kB the maximum size will be 64kB * 2^64 (=1YB).

Comment

Working...
      X