X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by Scimmia View Post

Which, of course, is completely wrong. Don't forget about mobile, embedded, and server space.
    Sadly the most popular implementation of linux on mobile it the windows XP of mobile Operating Systems.

Leave a comment:

• Scimmia
    replied
    Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
    67 million win 10 installs? That is absurdly more than Linux as a whole has, or for that matter will ever get in the next 5 years. Microsoft has once again gangbanged Linux out of existence. Linux numbers are complete joke. No chance, none. Especially now that Windows is also free.

Which, of course, is completely wrong. Don't forget about mobile, embedded, and server space.
    Last edited by Scimmia; 01 August 2015, 11:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chrisb
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Who are they? He is anonymous:

Technically spoken neither Microsoft claim this, neither we know who is anonymous... he can be even fired tommorow if he really exists and we will still don't know thing about it
    Microsoft have officially stated that 14 million devices were updated in the first 24 hours. I don't think the figures are that controversial - there are millions of Windows installs in the world, Windows 7 and Windows 8 combined have around 65% of the desktop market, and if you ask those users if they want to upgrade for free, most are probably going to say yes.
    Last edited by chrisb; 01 August 2015, 05:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• madjr
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

It definitely was a great marketing success and unlike OS upgrades before, you now get to keep most your apps, settings and personal files with the upgrade. In this sense Linux upgrades are far worse, there's never much hope for keeping your extra-distro software working. Lennart & co have been thinking of how to fix this though so maybe some day...

Snappy packages for ubuntu should help that too.

now snappy + systemd Stateless + btrfs will be awesome.

Leave a comment:

• madjr
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    It's unfortunate, but my first-gen Surface stays stuck on Windows RT 8.1, with no chance of ever seeing Windows RT 10 being released.

lol windows RT ....

better swap it already for a linux distro.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    It's unfortunate, but my first-gen Surface stays stuck on Windows RT 8.1, with no chance of ever seeing Windows RT 10 being released.

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    dont feed the trolls, so I should not write a message here but of course I do and your click bait works.
    but hey its nearly impossible to earn enough money without beeing not unmoralic.

a claim from a anonymous thats now standard of "journalism"? Did the fsf warn people to upgrade windows versions for free or did they warn them to buy new versions.

IF THAT NUMBERS are true its interesting that so many people take the high risks to loose data and go to the hurde of operation system installation what is normaly a job for sys admins only and a pain in the ass, and if it only means that you cant use your pc for a hour, its something that sucks.

But what did drive this numbers IF THEY ARE TRUE, that many people still use windows 7 so a upgrade was very urgend and needed, and it was free and it was limited free if you dont upgrade to the end of the year? you dont get that free upgrade.

then somehow microsoft or the journalists drive a big campaign I dont want to know how thef paid some eatings on interviews or something... there was 5 top storys on a day about a stupid os update that had no mentionworthy or not much at least new features.

67 mio PC are not much btw thats only 1% of all people to give YOU some perspective and that is when you assume that people have only one pc.

so even if you saf that 50% of the world population has no pc, it would be 2% so 98% of the people did not upgrade their windows, how is that a high number, I guess the people did listen to fsf.

Leave a comment:

• Deavir
    replied
    Well there is karma for you, friend brought a laptop over because it was blue screening after they upgraded from window 8.1. seems the problem was with the AMD driver. it has intel cpu and amd gpu. had to disable the amd driver in device driver (before it blue screened! this took 4 tries) and run windows update. So yeah I would wait to upgrade awhile.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    MS needs to open-source their stuff and their browser too, so people can have more confidence.

I'm going to wait until the end of the free year opportunity before upgrading. That'll allow for many of the bugs to get cleaned up and give a better perspective of some of the defaults that need to be turned off (like p2p for windows updates? really?). I only use Windows rarely for some work requirements so it's not too big of a deal for me.

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    Looks like Windows 10 should be renamed Windows Google edition given the amount of spying it does on you. At least Google give away their products in exchange for loss of privacy rather than charge $199.99 (pro usb edition) for the privilege, hell I can buy a chromebook for $199.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X