No announcement yet.

Windows 10 To Be A Free Upgrade: What Linux Users Need To Know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

look forward to one click update from 8.1 to 10. Thanks. Any release date?

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
      look forward to one click update from 8.1 to 10. Thanks. Any release date?
      When all major hardware vendors have DX12 capable chips/drivers/logos on the market DX12 should be exclusive to Windows 10, blah. blah.
      Last edited by dungeon; 22 January 2015, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        When all major hardware vendors have DX12 capable chips/drivers on the market
        So 3 years ago?

DX12 isn't going to require new hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          So 3 years ago?

DX12 isn't going to require new hardware.
          Question was "when is the release date?"

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
            And the only reason W7 came out so soon was because most people were cackling like a madman when they burned their Vista copy.

I remember breaking my Vista disc into as many pieces as I could and grinding them up in my garbage disposal. This was before Vista SP2....and I was a Dell L3 tech at the time....I swear if I had met Bill Gates at the time I would have gone to jail. I probably would have socked anyone from Nvidia too....lol
            Not even Close:
            Windows 95 (1995) -> Windows 98 (1998) -> Windows ME (2000) -> Windows XP (2001) -> Windows Vista (2007) -> Windows 7 (2009) -> Windows 8 (2012) -> Windows 10(2015)

It's a 3 year release cycle and it always has been other than for some hiccups.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              Ignoring reality doesn't make for a very compelling argument. The "long dry spell" that was XP was 13 years long, a significant period of time, not something you can simply "ignore" for the sake of making a point.
              We are speaking of time between releases and not total support time.
              From 95, 3Y to 98, 2Y to ME, 135Y to XP, 6Y to vista, 2.5Y to W7, 3Y to W8, 2Y to W10.
              So, yeah, 2 to 3 years between releases except for XP which lasted twice as long. I find reality tends to agree with his point.

Comment

Originally posted by spirit View Post
                you can use
                Chocolatey is software management automation for Windows that wraps installers, executables, zips, and scripts into compiled packages. Chocolatey integrates w/SCCM, Puppet, Chef, etc. Chocolatey is trusted by businesses to manage software deployments.

theit repository is already big

Yes I know... Every Windows computer I support for family and friends now gets chocolatey, chocolatey explorer and the auto-updater daemon. Then I tell them to first search for programs there if they want to install something. (that kind of "support" is actually why I was curious to brush up on Windows lately and installed the Win10 tech preview, since my last Windows version was one of the early variants of XP before switching 100% Linux. Lately I have found myself very disoriented in Windows-land (increasingly so from Vista --> Windows 8)).

I think I already notice a significant decrease in malicious "bonus" software that they used to get when they dowloaded stuff from various freeware sites thanks to Chocolatey.

OneGet (which is open source by the way) does integrate with Chocolatey and is open for 3rd party repositories.
                What I hope for is that "normal" Windows users now also will discover the usefullness of a package manager so that we will see less crap everywhere.

Some sort of "ubuntu software center" integrating a GUI for the package manager and the "app" store would make sense I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  Not even Close:
                  Windows 95 (1995) -> Windows 98 (1998) -> Windows ME (2000) -> Windows XP (2001) -> Windows Vista (2007) -> Windows 7 (2009) -> Windows 8 (2012) -> Windows 10(2015)

It's a 3 year release cycle and it always has been other than for some hiccups.
                  You have Windows 2000 missing from the list. It was a real OS unlike ME which was a joke

Comment

Originally posted by spirit View Post
                    It's like going to an expensive restaurant and ordering bread and water. I simply can't enjoy my pirated Windows until I install at least $20k worth of pirated proprietary crap on it.

Comment

Is there something equivalent to Cortana and Holographic but in Linux? Coming from dual-booting Windows 7 and Linux to going completely Linux in November 2012 when I built my new computer, I don't have any enthusiasm for Windows 10, but if Windows is my only choice at home and at work, it will be Windows 7 with out-of-the-box Aero Glass and I don't like the new Windows 10's Start menu with tiled interfaces. And besides, I don't care for Windows Phone, but the last smartphone operating system I used is Windows Mobile 6.1 and I still like the look of the Today screen compared to Android. But since I've tried looking for Windows Mobile 6.1/6.5-lookalike widget for Android that scrolls up and down years ago, I started to forget about it. One of the nice things about Windows Mobile is even though it does not have an application store, I can sideload applications that I downloaded from the Internet, which is very nice. compared to Windows Phone, but then Android opened the door for that.

And ditching Windows is a very hard choice back during 11/12, but I'm able to live without it successfully.
                      Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 22 January 2015, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X