FreeBSD 10.1 Release Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FreeBSD

Congrats on the FreeBSD team on a new major release. I remember using PC-BSD back in the day and it was a great but have gravitated towards Linux due to better support for gaming and computer hardware.

Does anyone know if the Linux Steam client and games on it can run on FreeBSD with it's CentOS 6 Linux emulation environment?

Comment

Originally posted by TeamBlackFox View Post
      Seriously Michael, hire some more moderators! I'll work for free, I've moderated sites in the past and know my way around the forum system here, I can EASILY get this place cleaned out. And I'll allow some red vs blue type debating that goes on here, but I will not allow trolling or hamster wheel arguments. Don't know why you don't seem to care about the lack of moderation and blatant disregard and lack of respect a lot of people here have... I've tried to be nice, I've tried to be sarcastic and I have tried to contribute facts and not opinions to the conversations, but it just isn't enough for people on here.
      Ad Revenue, Ad Revenue, Ad Revenue. It's honestly not in his interest to have this forum moderated when instead he can write trollbait articles and have threads that go hundreds of posts long. Besides I'm going to be perfectly blunt here, I don't trust anyone here to actually moderate these forums. We're all a bunch of software people and most of us here are way too married to our technologies, which means that a mod would likely set up an opinion echo chamber. I for one will take trolls and disrespect over enforced echo chambers, at least I can ignore the trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        Ad Revenue, Ad Revenue, Ad Revenue. It's honestly not in his interest to have this forum moderated when instead he can write trollbait articles and have threads that go hundreds of posts long. Besides I'm going to be perfectly blunt here, I don't trust anyone here to actually moderate these forums. We're all a bunch of software people and most of us here are way too married to our technologies, which means that a mod would likely set up an opinion echo chamber. I for one will take trolls and disrespect over enforced echo chambers, at least I can ignore the trolls.
        I think the right amount of moderation is the one where spambots and anyone involved in illegal activities are kept out, everyone else has free roam

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          I think the right amount of moderation is the one where spambots and anyone involved in illegal activities are kept out, everyone else has free roam
          That totally misses the point of having moderation in the first place.

Comment

I know very little about BSD so i have a question that might be provocative/trollish but it isn't meant to be:

Does xxxxxBSD use systemd and/or PulseAudio ?
            TIA for an answer.

I ask this for several reasons...now that Debian and Ubuntu (and derivatives like Linux Mint ?) will go to systemd and all the C**P i have to endure from PulseC**p that makes me IMPOSSIBLE to have audio in W:ET as an example but there are more games (as opposite to Slackware and Window$, even 8, where i have NO problems runing any respective native games), Slackware is one of the last strongholds against all LP c**p (sorry, but i like everyone have right to its own opinion in special when based on FACTS), i was wondering *IF* xxxxxxBSD could be an alternative just in case Slackware caves in to PulseC**p or systemd.

Comment

AJSB, get a soundcard with a hardware mixer that's supported under Linux if you can. Maybe the Xonar/C-Media chips work well (do your homework). Then you can drop the whole dmix/pulse mess. I use an M-Audio Revolution 5.1 myself and it works well for playback (not sure about recording). Yeah, it would be great if pulseaudio worked as well as DirectSound, but there are a lot of obstacles to that, and no, it's not Lennart's fault that the HDA/Azalia spec is great for vendor flexibility, but sucks for free OS's like Linux/BSD.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                AJSB, get a soundcard with a hardware mixer that's supported under Linux if you can. Maybe the Xonar/C-Media chips work well (do your homework). Then you can drop the whole dmix/pulse mess. I use an M-Audio Revolution 5.1 myself and it works well for playback (not sure about recording). Yeah, it would be great if pulseaudio worked as well as DirectSound, but there are a lot of obstacles to that, and no, it's not Lennart's fault that the HDA/Azalia spec is great for vendor flexibility, but sucks for free OS's like Linux/BSD.
                Nowadays I'm using AMD APUs in my builds and always in mITX form factor and obviously, use always integrated audio. No place for a discrete audio card.

...and why should i spend more money in a audio card anyway if in Slackware and other nowadays rare Linux distros that don't use PulseAudio (and also in Window$), HDA works well ?

Sorry, but *IMHO* *it is* LP fault that HDA doesn't work so well in PA....or maybe you are right and it's not...maybe it's Linux Distros that caved in to it with all its problems that are the ones at fault.

Anyway, i still like to know if xxxxBSD uses or not PA and/or systemd, TIA.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                  Sorry, but *IMHO* *it is* LP fault that HDA doesn't work so well in PA....or maybe you are right and it's not...maybe it's Linux Distros that caved in to it with all its problems that are the ones at fault.
                  It's a problem of the Linux ecosystem in general. No user should have to hack together an asound.conf just to get something like surround sound on HDMI, but it seems like that's what happens a lot with dmix.

Anyway, i still like to know if xxxxBSD uses or not PA.
                  Aren't they still using OSS and doing mixing in kernel space?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    I'm sorry, what did you say?

Anyway, BSD is gearing up for .. funeral. Their devs are trying to make a Linux wrapper around their kernel.
                    Wrong. Mellanox Technologies (leading storage company of Israel) created a Linux kernel compatibility layer some years ago to help bring their infiniband work to FreeBSD. That layer is maintained to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                      ... i still like to know if xxxxBSD uses or not PA and/or systemd ...
                      They don't use systemd, but can use PulseAudio.

Comment

Working...
                      X