PC-BSD Is Developing Its Own Desktop Environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    And you now even have the nerves to tell open source developers what they should work on, but call others arrogant. Another mindless troll, welcome to my ignore list. Have a nice life.
    Uh ya I am crushed.....I always wanted to have conversations with such a vitriolic individual.

Comment

Originally posted by tebruno99 View Post
      I see lots of complaining "oh another DE". Maybe the PC-BSD folks just want to have some fun and experience something new? Thats kinda why we are all here to begin with.
      Yes, that, plus the license, another point made earlier in this thread: BSD License, clearly their preference. Not my preference, but hey, it's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by tebruno99 View Post
        Lucky thing kde, gnome, xfce, lxde, unity, etc were in the 1% !!
        KDE/Qt was a commercial project, so doesn't apply to what PC-BSD is trying to do.
        Same for Gnome/Gtk, except it was open source, but backed by serious Linux companies.
        xfce, lxde I don't consider them successful, they were only lightweight, nothing else.
        Unity backed by Canonical with money.

They key why KDE/Gnome/Unity succeeded is money and being backed by serious Linux companies.

Comment

Considering the state of Linux DE(Desktop Environment)' s and the code quality of the Linux developers vs the BSD developers. Having the BSD group make a DE their style and ways might blow a refreshing breeze and new ideas in the DE space.

Looking forward to the new DE.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            KDE/Qt was a commercial project, so doesn't apply to what PC-BSD is trying to do.
            Same for Gnome/Gtk, except it was open source, but backed by serious Linux companies.
            xfce, lxde I don't consider them successful, they were only lightweight, nothing else.
            Unity backed by Canonical with money.

They key why KDE/Gnome/Unity succeeded is money and being backed by serious Linux companies.
            KDE has never been a commercial project.
            PC-BSD is a commercial project by iXsystems, BTW.

Comment

This might be more stupid than Debian trying to pretend to support Hurd and to get anyone to use it.
              Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
              Gnome, Unity, XFCE, KDE, Razor, (ten others). Does the world need yet another 95% completed Desktop. Yes to a degree they are all bad, but can't they try to pick one and work with them. I mean there is so much more to writting a desktop then just playing with crayons and creating widgets. I've been a big fan of KDE for along time, but I am looking for Unity 8 to take me away from KDE once and for all.

This is like all the hatred going on with OpenBSD forking OpenSSL instead of contributing upstream, or any other project that diverges from the traditional solution.

Why did you people choose free/open-source software if you couldn't even stand the idea of getting *forked* and outpaced and having people contribute to their preferred project instead of the one of your choice? I prefer Wayland over Mir, I prefer sticking with GCC that going with Clang, I don't think the BSDs are the best free operating systems out there, but I like the fact that developers can put their efforts in the causes they deem the best.

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
              Calling BSD Unix shows how little you know.
              BSD diverged so far from Unix after the rewrite that it is a completely different OS...
              I would argue that you can't establish a sensible point of departure from Unix. This is like evolutionary biology: species are more or less an arbitrary classification that helps us fit reality to language, even though genetic code, just as computer code, evolves in a rather gradual and continuous fashion. What constitutes a true Unix for you? One that has been certified like OS X? The System V family? Do you really think you would find a big proportion of original UNIX code in Solaris and HP-UX? Dennis Ritchie himself expressed his thoughts that Linux was one of the healthiest UNIX descendants (be it directly or not).

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
              ...that uses Linux for the majority of it's advancment.
              How so? Linux is a kernel and no BSD project uses it, apart maybe from emulating some Linux-only drivers. You know, they have their own BSD kernels

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                KDE has never been a commercial project.
                PC-BSD is a commercial project by iXsystems, BTW.
                I mean the/many core devs were paid. As I said, it's about money and support from Linux companies.
                If you don't got any or both of these - take a hike, you stand no chance in succeeding creating
                such a sophisticated project like a desktop environment. And today KDE/Gnome are enough for Linux companies so they won't bother supporting a pet project by an irrelevant OS (BSD).

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                  Considering the state of Linux DE(Desktop Environment)' s and the code quality of the Linux developers vs the BSD developers. Having the BSD group make a DE their style and ways might blow a refreshing breeze and new ideas in the DE space.

Looking forward to the new DE.
                  Code quality is always Linux' strong advantage and this is backed by studies.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                    Code quality is always Linux' strong advantage and this is backed by studies.
                    Feel free to post a link to those studies.

Comment

I mean the/many core devs were paid. As I said, it's about money and support from Linux companies.
                      If you don't got any or both of these - take a hike, you stand no chance in succeeding creating
                      such a sophisticated project like a desktop environment. And today KDE/Gnome are enough for Linux companies so they won't bother supporting a pet project by an irrelevant OS (BSD).
                      iXsystems pays PC-BSD devs.

Comment

Working...
                      X