Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Clang is their future"

Oakley Sunglasses

Last edited by Ra698shida; 11 September 2013, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      Using your brain before your keyboard/mouth would be a good start...
      Sorry, I'm in no habit of eating keyboards. Don't know what you're talking about.

Comment

Somebody asked "Why?" on stack exchange and got a fairly comprehensive answer; here's a link to that page: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...-of-clang-llvm.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
          Clang is receiving OpenMP support in the coming months, GCC 4.2 is not.
          Correcting this part. GCC 4.2 supports OpenMP just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            It's always comforting to know that technically inclined people can continue to be technical incompetent and devoid of any sense of reason, whilst swimming in a sea of zealotry.
            In this case it seems to be true though - they do hate the FSF/GNU. The OpenBSD web site has a comic strip that attempts to ridicule the FSF & GNU by showing the BSD mascot using its clever logic to kill a GNUified Richard Stallman (it doesn't even make sense since Rule 1: "You cannot sell your code" directly contradicts the FSF "we encourage people who redistribute free software to charge as much as they wish or can")

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
              In this case it seems to be true though - they do hate the FSF/GNU. The OpenBSD web site has a comic strip that attempts to ridicule the FSF & GNU by showing the BSD mascot using its clever logic to kill a GNUified Richard Stallman (it doesn't even make sense since Rule 1: "You cannot sell your code" directly contradicts the FSF "we encourage people who redistribute free software to charge as much as they wish or can")
              To put the image in context, Richard Stallman had said in an interview that the BSDs include and distribute proprietary software. To sum it up: they don't, but the ports system makes it easy to download and install them the same as any other piece of software. When this was pointed out to him he said that this was just the same thing and tried to argue this at length on the mailing list.

They will generally happily ignore Richard Stallman, but he made a mistake and rather than admitting it he just increased his volume and annoyed a large amount of the OpenBSD community. I'm not saying that the cartoon is great, but hopefully this will clarify it a little. They always make a cartoon for each release that highlights a difficulty they've had over the preceeding 6 months, and this time he was the one that had the most attention.

Comment

Ridiculous! Of course you can deploy your app with whatever licence you want, whether compiled with gcc or clang.-

FreeBSD...if it wouldn't be supported and utilized by Apple, I would have overlooked it.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
                  To put the image in context, Richard Stallman had said in an interview that the BSDs include and distribute proprietary software. To sum it up: they don't, but the ports system makes it easy to download and install them the same as any other piece of software. When this was pointed out to him he said that this was just the same thing and tried to argue this at length on the mailing list.

They will generally happily ignore Richard Stallman, but he made a mistake and rather than admitting it he just increased his volume and annoyed a large amount of the OpenBSD community. I'm not saying that the cartoon is great, but hopefully this will clarify it a little. They always make a cartoon for each release that highlights a difficulty they've had over the preceeding 6 months, and this time he was the one that had the most attention.
                  I just looked up what he said and it the offensive quote seems to be "OpenBSD does not contain non-free software (though I am not sure whether it contains any non-free firmware blobs). However, its ports system does suggest non-free programs"

Anyway, it doesn't really matter precisely what he said - it's not a few individuals arguing over semantics on a mailing list that makes OpenBSD look completely unprofessional here - it's the fact that the organisation itself responded by publishing a comic strip that mocks the FSF and attributes statements to them that aren't true.

There are often disagreements between Linux distributions - and yet I have never seen any Linux distribution publish a comic showing their little mascot killing some other mascot. Do you think Fedora would publish an official comic showing them killing Mark Shuttleworth because of Mir? I would be genuinely surprised if that happened.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post

BSD is almost dead any way. Obviously their devs has necrophiliac tendencies. (y)

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                      Last time I checked this article was about FreeBSD. Why does a comic strip on the OpenBSD site imply that FreeBSD are GNU haters again?
                      Last edited by Vim_User; 12 September 2013, 10:12 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

Working...
                      X