FreeBSD Is No Longer Building GCC By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    GCC is the GNU compiler collection. It's part of the GNU project, maintained by FSF. It's licensed under GPL.

FreeBSD hates GNU, they hate FSF, and they hate GPL. They want an entirely GPL-free system. So this is an entirely political move, screw the technical concerns.
    They're not shipping a newer GCC than 4.2 because they don't agree with the GPLv3, specifically the tivoisation clause as they see it as a software license limiting hardware use. Shipping it might prevent FreeBSD from being deployed in such environments.
    Clang produces binaries faster than GCC 4.2
    Clang is receiving OpenMP support in the coming months, GCC 4.2 is not.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      That's half of all Phoronix forums posts (and probably most of dee.'s).
      Half? LOL!!! You are so generous.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        That's half of all Phoronix forums posts (and probably most of dee.'s).
        Ouch, how will I ever recover from these sick burns?

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
          Half? LOL!!! You are so generous.
          Fuck off, you don't even care about BSD - do you even know what a BSD is? You're just here to score potshots by agreeing with anyone who disagrees with me, in a really stupid, trollish way. And it's fairly obvious you're doing this because you're still butthurt over me saying stuff about your precious Mir/Canonical. You of any people have no call to accuse ANYONE of not understanding technical arguments or being "political".

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
            They're not shipping a newer GCC than 4.2 because they don't agree with the GPLv3, specifically the tivoisation clause as they see it as a software license limiting hardware use.
            Yep, that's what I said basically. FreeBSD do not want GPL, GCC out, Clang in.

Comment

Fuck off, you don't even care about BSD - do you even know what a BSD is? You're just here to score potshots by agreeing with anyone who disagrees with me, in a really stupid, trollish way. And it's fairly obvious you're doing this because you're still butthurt over me saying stuff about your precious Mir/Canonical. You of any people have no call to accuse ANYONE of not understanding technical arguments or being "political".
              Are you an idiot? Do you really think I give a flying fuck about you? Are you really that self absorbed?

FYI: Yes I know what BSD is. Yes I care about BSD. I currently administer 2 FreeBSD systems, support another and I have a virtual PCBSD installation that I use at times. I am quite interested in BSD development, especially Capsicum.

Why even mention Mir or Canonical here? This thread is about FreeBSD right? Are you that much of a troll?

Another bit of information for you so this does not happen again in the future. I am very much indifferent when it comes to Mir, Canonical or anything Linux. They are just tools that I use. The only operating systems that I might say I care about are Genode(Not really an operating system right now) [and by extension Fiasco.OC and NOVA] and FreeBSD.

The only display server I am even interested in is Nitpicker which Wayland is very similar to architecturally[Note: Nitpicker preceded Wayland].

Operating Systems I use(in no particular order):
              Windows 7
              Windows 8
              FreeBSD
              OS X
              Android
              Ubuntu
              OpenSUSE
              Chakra Linux
              Fedora

----------

You portray an incredible amount of zealotry then try to rationalize it as being practical.

At any rate... whatever is whatever and that's all good for you. I don't really care one way or the other... So fuck off too, thank you.

Comment

Oh sorry, I think I read your post wrong, I'm a bit sleep-deprived at the moment. No hard feelings, ok?

Comment

Yep, that's what I said basically. FreeBSD do not want GPL, GCC out, Clang in.
                  That's not what you said, you said that is that 'FreeBSD hates the GPL' when they clearly don't as they continue to ship GPL applications with their default application set.
                  What I had said is that they avoid GPLv3 specifically because the tivoisation clause limits some usage scenarios, such as embedding software on read only memory, which is completely understandable from my perspective as any software license shouldn't limit hardware usage or deployment.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                    That's not what you said, you said
                    Well give me a break, it's 4am

Comment

Ouch, how will I ever recover from these sick burns?
                      Using your brain before your keyboard/mouth would be a good start...

Comment

Working...
                      X