Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MorphOS Still Being Toyed With For PowerPC

Phoronix: MorphOS Still Being Toyed With For PowerPC

MorphOS, the Amiga-compatible PowerPC operating system, is still being experimented with on PowerPC hardware. The latest effort out of the MorphOS camp is to make the operating system work on the IBM PowerPC G5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Source or gtfo

Source or gtfo.

MorphOS is irrelevant proprietary software.
    Release source code or stfu.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      MorphOS is irrelevant proprietary software.
      Release source code or stfu.
      That means you have some PowerPC knowledge and want to contribute to this OS?

Can't believe you are bothered by this... who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
        That means you have some PowerPC knowledge and want to contribute to this OS?

Can't believe you are bothered by this... who cares?
        Nope, but if I had PowerPC knowledge and were to contribute anywhere, it would be to Linux or any other free open source software project.

If I had a PowerPC machine, it would be running Linux or other free open source software operating systems, not a proprietary OS.

Comment

Nope, but if I had PowerPC knowledge and were to contribute anywhere, it would be to Linux or any other free open source software project.

If I had a PowerPC machine, it would be running Linux or other free open source software operating systems, not a proprietary OS.
          So why the harsh words on a project that is totally irrelevant to you in any way? Opensource is not an silver bullet or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
            So why the harsh words on a project that is totally irrelevant to you in any way? Opensource is not an silver bullet or anything.
            Phoronix is a Linux site. MorphOS is not related to Linux, it isn't even related to Unix, nor is it free software or open source.

Proprietary software have ruined enough of computing with their proprietary software, formats, and protocols. Their theft from open source, their patents and trademarks, their lawsuits and litigations. Their draconian restriction of user freedom and software freedom.

Free software is the only fair, just, moral way of software.
            Proprietary software developers should be hanged by their balls!
            These "developers" are the traitors of the computing era!

Comment

Interesting. I keep my ear to the ground with Amiga developments and checked out AROS not so long ago but I never seem to hear much from the MorphOS camp, maybe because I've never wandered in that direction. I don't know why but OS4 and AROS are closer to my heart. Anyway, good to hear there's still life in it.

Comment

Phoronix is a Linux site. MorphOS is not related to Linux, it isn't even related to Unix, nor is it free software or open source.

Proprietary software have ruined enough of computing with their proprietary software, formats, and protocols. Their theft from open source, their patents and trademarks, their lawsuits and litigations. Their draconian restriction of user freedom and software freedom.

Free software is the only fair, just, moral way of software.
                Proprietary software developers should be hanged by their balls!
                These "developers" are the traitors of the computing era!
                Now tell us how you really feel... Being a developer of proprietary software in the medical research industry, I would like to say, "Please don't hang me by my balls."

Oh, and I spend most of my free hobby time working on open-source software. So, am I a traitor, or a patriot? Hmm?

I write software to pay the bills, and I need a way to get paid for that. Custom software applications for a niche industry is one way that I can do it. And then I can take those skills that I hone on a daily basis, and apply them to improving free software at home.

Comment

Out of curiosity are there any PowerPC machines a commoner (read dont cost an arm and a leg) can actually buy? Not old macs of course.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    Out of curiosity are there any PowerPC machines a commoner (read dont cost an arm and a leg) can actually buy? Not old macs of course.
                    All I'm finding on Amazon/Newegg are G4/G5 iBook/Powerbook/PowerMac/iMac machines.

Of course, that's assuming that you ignore that a PowerPC processor is at the heart of every XBox 360, Wii, WiiU, and PS3.

Comment

Working...
                    X