NetBSD 10.0 Released With Much Improved Hardware Support & Faster Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

If you're too lazy to research what BSD is you're too lazy to use it. So stick with Linux is my recommendation.
    Its a good ideia since BSD is almost dead this days

Comment

Originally posted by and.elf View Post

That's what I asked: what is the difference between them. Different goals, strategies, etc? I asked because I want to know what a quick search doesn't reveal.
      BSDs are kind of living fossils. They could have been what nowadays linux is, but missed the opportunity because of historical and political reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by User29 View Post

BSDs are kind of living fossils. They could have been what nowadays linux is, but missed the opportunity because of historical and political reasons.
        Technically, there are still important things that illumos and BSD do better than Linux.

I wouldn't say they missed the opportunity for historical and political reasons. Capitalism leads to the production and consumption of software that is developed by individuals who are supposedly highly educated but in reality are knowledge-less and talent-less.

The 'system' is essentially about stupidity and also leads to a rapid intellectual decline generation after generation, because people's health is no longer a priority. Money is the only priority.

​The most secure or qualitative or highest performing software usually becomes unpopular. What becomes popular is the software that is the least technically ingenious.

I think it also has to do with the bandwagon effect. If you analyze humans in 2024 you will see that they show little individuality in terms of the software they use and are almost like a collection of clones in this specific area.

Apart from that, I do plan to give NetBSD a chance as a desktop system. Does anyone know if it is compatible with Alder Lake?
        Last edited by Classical; 31 March 2024, 05:15 AM.

Comment

That's what I asked: what is the difference between them. Different goals, strategies, etc? I asked because I want to know what a quick search doesn't reveal.
          depends heavily on what type of user you are, if you are typical desktop user then the differences are negligible and mostly will be that BSD have less application, driver and games support than Linux. If you are a terminal user then the major difference is that they don't use the GNU toolchain. After that the number of changes will be many and varied to fit in a post in a forum.

Comment

BSD license allows using the code for proprietary, closed source products, such as PlayStation OS. This is an important difference for the commercial applications.

GNU/Linux was developed completely independently from ground up. All BSD projects started from BSD software distribution that was the basis of UNIX variants that was released by Berkeley.

Linux is much more capable regarding hardware support and popular compared to BSD.

You can read more about BSD below

Comment

FreeBSD is the more popular BSD. OpenBSD is the security-focused BSD. DragonFly BSD is the oddball with a supposedly good filesystem that you can't get anywhere else. Where exactly does NetBSD fit in?

Comment

Originally posted by Classical View Post

Technically, there are still important things that illumos and BSD do better than Linux.
                The only thing that comes to my mind is zfs.

I wouldn't say they missed the opportunity for historical and political reasons.
                Unix wars closed the door. People, companies and the academy was fed up and started to suppost FOSS and linux. In about 10 years (around kernel 2.6) linux became quite usasble and because of this, got more and more traction.

The 'system' is essentially about stupidity [...]. Money is the only priority.
                How is this related?

​The most secure or qualitative or highest performing software usually becomes unpopular.
                BS.

Perfect software doesn't exist and if your goal is to release one, it will be never released. Good enough is good enough.

Apart from that, I do plan to give NetBSD a chance as a desktop system. Does anyone know if it is compatible with Alder Lake?
                And here we go again. People are bashing linux distros for being fragmented and diverse. Still there are at least 5-6 different BSDs for that handful users and it's always a question if the xBSD supports a 2+yo architecture or not.

Comment

If you're too lazy to research what BSD is you're too lazy to use it. So stick with Linux is my recommendation.
                  You just paraphrased my Dad's favorite advise: "If you don't already know I'm not going to tell you."

and.elf
                  Linux and FreeBSD comparison
                  NetBSD Wikipedia

There's some decent places to start. IMHO, FreeBSD is probably the best BSD option in regards to running a graphical desktop with newer hardware. I'd probably be a FreeBSD user if it wasn't for Linux being the superior FOSS gaming OS. Since the BSDs pull their graphics drivers from Linux, NetBSD has graphics drivers equivalent to Linux 5.6 while FreeBSD is up to Linux 6.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Classical View Post

No. AFAIK, Alder Lake is Linux 5.15 and greater while NetBSD is equivalent to Linux 5.6 (in regards to Intel graphics drivers). Your best bet is FreeBSD since they're up to Linux 6.1.

Comment

No wonder no one is using it. If this is the attitude of BSD users, then I wouldn't want to use it either. I hope there are friendlier users.

Comment

Working...
                      X