No announcement yet.

Microsoft Enables DNS Tunneling By Default For WSL - More Reliable Networking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Enables DNS Tunneling By Default For WSL - More Reliable Networking

Phoronix: Microsoft Enables DNS Tunneling By Default For WSL - More Reliable Networking

Microsoft is rolling out WSL 2.2.1 to WIndows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) users with more reliable networking support, hang fixes, and other improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did they add IPv6 yet? What's the status of that?

Comment

Michael

Typo

"foregoing the netwokring packets" should be "networking"

Comment

Originally posted by ahrs View Post
        I believe you have to set "networkingMode=mirrored" to your .wslconfig file.

Comment

even Github doesn't have ipv6

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post

Neither of the (residential-serving) ISPs I am forced to use offer IPv6 support.
            One did offer it, badly, then withdrew it, with no date for restoral.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post

Neither of the (residential-serving) ISPs I am forced to use offer IPv6 support.
              One did offer it, badly, then withdrew it, with no date for restoral.
              it is opposite in my area, IPV6 only with nat64

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
                I believe you have to set "networkingMode=mirrored" to your .wslconfig file.
                Yes, this "works", in as much as it mirrors your IPv4 and IPv6 address(es) from your host machine into the WSL VM.

Your choices currently are this, or NAT. Both are pretty terrible though. Every other desktop virtualisation product I can think of supports bridge mode networking, except for WSL.

Yes, there are hacks you can do with the Hyper-V switch tools, but you have to hack them in to your desktop install, and they don't work on all network devices (it's highly driver dependent, and many wireless NICs in particular don't work at all). So there's no standard, universal way to just get a bridged VM like you can in VirtualBox, VMWare, QEMU, etc, etc.

"Who needs this?" asks everyone, including the WSL lead product manager who asked me exactly this on Twitter? Well, for example, anyone who wants to do something like test a Samba server in WSL. Because you can't do that with either NAT nor mirrored mode, as you get port conflicts in either scenario (whether you share the IP or attempt to DNAT through to your NATed interface). That's one example. But attempt to serve any service on your WSL instance that you have on your desktop (say, a web server on both, and you want both to listen on a given port for whatever reason), and you get similar conflicts.

Generally speaking, whenever I bring this up, the response is something short sighted like "most people don't...." which is ludicrous. Offering bridged networking as an advanced option doesn't negatively impact "most people" (it's not "too confusing", which seems to be another short sighted reason for not including this). Nor does offering it as a third option remove the other two options. And again, other tools are offering this, so why not WSL?

It would be lovely for WSL to offer the same networking options as literally every other desktop virtualisation system from the last two decades. Maybe they'll finally get there in Windows 12 when the WSL product team pass networking 101?

Comment

Chicken vs egg.

Comment

Microsoft shows an incredible level of dysfunction and incompetence so it is not surprising.

Comment

Working...
                    X