Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Hurd Has Been Making Progress On Its x86_64 Support

Phoronix: GNU Hurd Has Been Making Progress On Its x86_64 Support

While GNU Hurd predates the Linux kernel, its hardware support has been woefully behind with very limited and dated hardware support compared to modern PC/server hardware. Not only that, its been largely x86 limited but during Q4'2023 the developers involved have made progress on x86_64 support and begun tackling AArch64 porting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm a software engineer, burned out (health wise) from my job. I've come to realize that I've turned what I love into my work and in recent years the fun was gone. I've not been able to enjoy programming ever since.

I love seeing projects like this, without much chance of reaching a wider audience, continuing to make progress. It means that there are people who do this out of a sense of passion ... and that's the healthiest motivation to do any kind of work.

I hope I'll find back my passion eventually... and I'll think more than thrice before considering turning my hobby into my job again.

Comment

While I use neither Debian nor Hurd, I appreciate that people are still putting work into this. Its a good thing to have at least one distro targeting multiple Kernels to avoid too much of a monoculture.

Comment

Originally posted by SWY1985 View Post
        I'm a software engineer, burned out (health wise) from my job. I've come to realize that I've turned what I love into my work and in recent years the fun was gone. I've not been able to enjoy programming ever since.

I love seeing projects like this, without much chance of reaching a wider audience, continuing to make progress. It means that there are people who do this out of a sense of passion ... and that's the healthiest motivation to do any kind of work.

I hope I'll find back my passion eventually... and I'll think more than thrice before considering turning my hobby into my job again.
        I am sorry you feel that way. I do too and understand your predicament: losing both one of your passions and your main motivation to work at the same time makes one feel lost and tired. I also share your thoughts: whatever the technical merits of projects like GNU Hurd, the passion behind them is admirable and something to cultivate. I hope that you soon find something that makes you happier . Feel hugged!

Comment

Originally posted by SWY1985 View Post

My story is similar, that's why I left corporation last year and started my own software related business. It's not an easy, however I feel much more comfortable and passion to programming was back. I hope you'll find solution to your problem too. Good luck!

Comment

I don't quite understand all this sudden appreciation for something so persistently, utterly useless.

All these people, for all these decades could've done something that actually helps people. Instead, they've been doing this. A pipe dream, that will never be used for anything, by anyone. At best, you could call it l'art pour l'art, but I'm really having a hard time understanding how a software engineer could be motivated to look at things in such a way. What's the point of engineering if it serves absolutely no purpose at all? How is that fulfilling? I just don't get it. At all.

When all these people eventually die, will someone ever say, "Remember Hurd? It was so great!". Nope. No one will care. Isn't that like the saddest way to waste your life? Life is too short for this kind of cr@p.
            Last edited by anarki2; 10 January 2024, 06:44 PM.

Comment

nice, probably finally time to add support to this T2 distribution: https://t2sde.org/kernel/

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                I don't quite understand all this sudden appreciation for something so persistently, utterly useless.

All these people, for all these decades could've done something that actually helps people. Instead, they've been doing this. A pipe dream, that will never be used for anything, by anyone. At best, you could call it l'art pour l'art, but I'm really having a hard time understanding how a software engineer could be motivated to look at things in such a way. What's the point of engineering if it serves absolutely no purpose at all? How is that fulfilling? I just don't get it. At all.
                they did something useful that helps people: it's a group of people having fun. having fun is one of the most useful things you can do. they are also learning a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post

they did something useful that helps people: it's a group of people having fun. having fun is one of the most useful things you can do. they are also learning a lot.
                  It doesn't help anyone, in any shape or form.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

All these people, for all these decades could've done something that actually helps people. Instead, they've been doing this.
                    Sudden appreciation? Let's call it admiration for people who invest in themselves and share their work with with a small group of enthusiasts who enjoy doing the same thing.

Would you call a local football team persistently, utterly useless because they'll never play a commercially interesting world cup game that can entertain billions is people? I'd say it's just a bunch of people doing what they love on a smaller scale and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Working...
                    X