FreeBSD 14.0 Released: Supports Up To 1,024 CPU Cores, OpenZFS 2.2 & Adds Fwget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

You are correct in that AC and AX speeds are not supported in OpenBSD. I have a 300 Mbit Internet connection and OpenBSD on an AX 201 or 211 Intel gets me right up there in the 280 to 300 range, so is good enough for me!

I was at an event earlier in the year speaking to an former OpenBSD committer / dev and he was talking about the early days of wifi. He said back then everyone but OpenBSD used a shim to run the windows driver or Linux driver and then security bugs were found in the driver and everyone who was just porting the windows driver over via the shim was vulnerable so I tend to agree with the openBSD method a bit more of doing the in house work. Though I suspect little is wrong with the Linux shim nowadays in FreeBSD because Linux has a higher code quality than it had back in the late 90s early 00s.
    It was NDISWrapper and it was one of the jankiest pieces of software I've ever used. It was either that or manually download the firmware from broadcom and then extract + copy over some of the files into the mythical /lib/firmware/b43 directory. Linux and it's distributions have come such a long way since then.

While it's true that OpenBSD did not support it, IIRC they didn't support many wifi chipsets at all, regardless and people like me (at the time) couldn't afford anything other than the hand-me-down hardware I had. I remember looking into broadcom wifi chipset support in OpenBSD and came across Theo saying to "buy Taiwanese" because companies like Realtek had much much better documentation and willingness to support open source.

Comment

Originally posted by Brittle2 View Post
      the linux say in the changelogs how many core it can handle?, or there a way to see that?
      Linux? 4096 since many years. Maybe more as for now.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

I don't think than DrangonlyBSD can claim to be any sort of success except as a hobby project. OpenBSD is IMHO the real "leading" BSD operating system, the one that's truly relevant in the actual real world.
        Maybe you're right. OpenBSD is very innovative in security and cooperates with Linux in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

I mean there are loads of important, real world applications that depend on OpenBSD (various sorts of network devices, mainly). Other BSDs, not so much (yes I know that MacOS uses FreeBSD userland etc, no one cares about that).
          Isn't NetFlix's content delivery cache still run on FreeBSD, and I think Playstone uses a forked version of FreeBSD?

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post

That 100% depends on what your priorities and needs are. OpenBSD is "secure by default" or attemtps to be for sure and Theo and team have contributed a SHIT ton to the world, but it also doesn't have ZFS support and performance can be questionable.
            Unfortunately, the "secure by default" is a bit of a weasel wording or motte/bailey IMO.

Essentially the default install doesn't run an internet-facing service. Is it secure? Yes, I have no doubt.

But, set the internet-facing service up, and most of the security issues/considerations come from that service (the OS matters a lot less, or the security perimeter comes from the service mostly).

Comment

Working...
            X