No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 14.0 Released: Supports Up To 1,024 CPU Cores, OpenZFS 2.2 & Adds Fwget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 14.0 Released: Supports Up To 1,024 CPU Cores, OpenZFS 2.2 & Adds Fwget

Phoronix: FreeBSD 14.0 Released: Supports Up To 1,024 CPU Cores, OpenZFS 2.2 & Adds Fwget

FreeBSD 14 has been released as stable today as the newest major release of this leading open-source BSD operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

FreeBSD 14.0 is the first major release of FreeBSD I've been excited for in a LONG time! So many security options are now the DEFAULT, such a PIE and ASLR. Long time coming, but after doing some reading and talking to people here on Phoronix it seems that FreeBSD is finally good enough for day to day use on workstations. I fully intend over the Christmas Holiday to get FreeBSD 14.0 setup on one of the computers at home and kick the tires. Hats off team for a super exciting release!

FreeBSD just has some things that OpenBSD and NetBSD don't have like great wine support and a great Linux emulator. Now with their own version of the iwx, called iwlwifi​, driver found in OpenBSD you can use AX wifi cards easily. I don't know what BSD is the general purpose best BSD, but FreeBSD now makes a strong case at least in my book, though OpenBSD continues to make a strong case too!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      So many security options are now the DEFAULT, such a PIE and ASLR.
      ASLR seventeen years after Linux, PIE eight years after Fedora. Theo was right.

phoronix
      FreeBSD 14 has been released as stable today as the newest major release of this leading open-source BSD operating system
      Leading? OpenBSD and DragonflyBSD don't agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
        I know that is bad, but better late than never I guess? Theo is normally right about things so yeah OpenBSD's early adoption of these technologies is great, but FreeBSD is slow to change.

Why did Michael say that this is leading? Probably because historically FreeBSD has had the most users, see the graph on Wikipedia. Though, even I admit that that is so far out of date to not be reliable now possibly.

Comment

the linux say in the changelogs how many core it can handle?, or there a way to see that?

Comment

Originally posted by Brittle2 View Post
            the linux say in the changelogs how many core it can handle?, or there a way to see that?
            "The SMP system now supports up to 1024 cores on amd64 and arm64. Many kernel CPU sets are now dynamically allocated to avoid consuming excessive memory. The kernel cpuset ABI has been updated to support the higher limit. 76887e84be97 d1639e43c589 9051987e40c5 e0c6e8910898 (Sponsored by The FreeBSD Foundation)​"

From the release notes.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

phoronix

Leading? OpenBSD and DragonflyBSD don't agree.
              I don't think than DrangonlyBSD can claim to be any sort of success except as a hobby project. OpenBSD is IMHO the real "leading" BSD operating system, the one that's truly relevant in the actual real world.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

I don't think than DrangonlyBSD can claim to be any sort of success except as a hobby project. OpenBSD is IMHO the real "leading" BSD operating system, the one that's truly relevant in the actual real world.
                That 100% depends on what your priorities and needs are. OpenBSD is "secure by default" or attemtps to be for sure and Theo and team have contributed a SHIT ton to the world, but it also doesn't have ZFS support and performance can be questionable.

Comment

Originally posted by Brittle2 View Post
                  Honestly I don't know, I don't know if there is any hard upper limit. As to what the practical limit is, it's probably fairly high since IIRC it has been used to run NUMA systems with 8192 cores.

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post

That 100% depends on what your priorities and needs are. OpenBSD is secure by default for sure and Theo and team have contributed a SHIT ton to the world, but it also doesn't have ZFS support and performance can be questionable.
                    I mean there are loads of important, real world applications that depend on OpenBSD (various sorts of network devices, mainly). Other BSDs, not so much (yes I know that MacOS uses FreeBSD userland etc, no one cares about that).

Comment

Working...
                    X