Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After A Delay, ISA Drivers Will Be Kept Around Until FreeBSD 15

Phoronix: After A Delay, ISA Drivers Will Be Kept Around Until FreeBSD 15

FreeBSD 14.0-RC4 was issued today and as a last minute change they have decided to keep (non-PNP) ISA and GIANT-locked drivers around until FreeBSD 15...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems like a logical move. With FreeBSD dropping support for i686 hardware in 15.0 it would make sense to get rid of old drivers then. Thanks as always for the BSD news Michael, second to none!

Comment

ISA? ISA?!! Oh my, this is call from the dark ages.

I think any real i686 with actual ISA ports is slower than a RPI4, not even 5, nowadays. Just move on…

Comment

In the previous thread about Linux removing old device support some bsd fan criticized Linux pointing to how bsd maintains support for very old hardware. Where is your god now?

Comment

Maybe not a last minute decision.

reduce the GIANT hacks was wanted, in a 15.0 context, around six months ago:

PS Michael, I'm always grateful for coverage. I hope that you're never offended by clarifications or corrections; feel free to kick back. Thanks.
          Last edited by grahamperrin; 04 November 2023, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
            In the previous thread about Linux removing old device support some bsd fan criticized Linux pointing to how bsd maintains support for very old hardware. Where is your god now?
            I don't know about yours, but my god is checking his iPad trying to find a link for the nebulous previous thread.

Comment

Originally posted by grahamperrin View Post
              Maybe not a last minute decision.

reduce the GIANT hacks was wanted, in a 15.0 context, around six months ago:

Quick question since you seem to have context: why is this still being kept in? Are there worries about real devices still needing this?

Comment

My god is still chugging along nicely. Plus there is a big difference between ISA hardware and stuff that is relatively new. Linux broke ISA support too early in my opinion.

I know this is RHEL/Fedora specific but some of the "deprecated" drivers in this list was far too premature around RHEL 7 era.

The key ones are iwl4965 and iwl3945.

Even now with Oracle Linux 9.2, after a (UEK) kernel update the wifi on my fairly recent ThinkPad X220i have been stripped. Its like a dumb treadmill.
                Last edited by kpedersen; 04 November 2023, 11:02 AM.

Comment

NetBSD will happily run on a VAX 11/780.

Comment

Originally posted by iustinp View Post
                    ISA? ISA?!! Oh my, this is call from the dark ages.

I think any real i686 with actual ISA ports is slower than a RPI4, not even 5, nowadays. Just move on…
                    People frequently need to use old ISA cards in industrial environments. Assuming they have the source code for the driver, it can be much cheaper for pay $10,000 a software engineer to port it to each new version of linux or BSD than to replace a $500,000 or $1,000,000 peice of heavy equipment.

Meanwhile, continuing to move to new OSs helps keep it all talking with their IT. It may be talking over a 10BaseT ethernet card, but it needs to talk to the latest version of samba to download CNC toolpaths from the engineers' dell workstations.

Comment

Working...
                    X